ISO different cookies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryRed

Senior Cook
Hello all!

I'm looking for a few creative cookie recipes to try out this weekend. A bunch of people are getting together and I said I'd bake. Since I'll have to transport whatever I make and keep it looking good, I figured cookies would be the way to go. In searching for recipes to use, I decided I need to branch out and try something I haven't done before!

I make chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles all the time. I've also done oatmeal cookies and these whipped shortbread things with cherries in the middle. Sugar cookies too, of course. I've made more creative cookies as well, but I can't think of what kinds off the top of my head.

So here's where you come in! I need suggestions for cookies that are "different" - not the standards of the cookie world, but also not so out there as to put people off. They should also be relatively simple to make since I'm not sure I'll have a lot of time.

Anyone got ideas? Thanks so much!

-Cherry

Cafe Mocha cookies. Also search for New Favorites by Alix.

The other place I would look is that Virtual cookie swap thread by Chef June. Its a sticky in the cookie section. Theres a bunch of yummy fast ones there.

If you're pressed for time. Do the brown sugar shortbread ones I posted in there. They are quick, easy to transport and killer good.

Funny that you mention the cookie swap thread - I was JUST there! Definitely some great ideas in that thread. Mmm, those cafe mocha cookies sound awesome :D Thanks!

I found a recipe for lemon cream cheese cookies that looks decent. Looks fairly quick too. Maybe I'll make that as well as something a little more rich, like the cafe mocha cookies or something heavily chocolate-based. I'm still open to suggestions!

Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 C Butter, softened
1 1/4 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 C Cherry Pie Filling
1 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 C Walnuts - coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until lightly fluffy, about one minute.

Add the eggs one at a time and beat for 30 seconds after each addition. Add the almond extract and continue to beat until well blended. About 20 seconds.

Add the dry ingredients a quarter at a time, beating after each addition until well mixed, about 40 seconds.

Add the pie filling, chips and nuts. Mix until just blended.

Drop the dough in rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 9-11 minutes.

Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack.

Puffy Stars/Snowflakes Dipped in Chocolate

Use a snowflake, star, heart or any shape cookie cutter you like & cut thawed frozen puff pastry sheets. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until golden. Lightly dip tops of pastries into melted white or dark chocolate. Add a little sparkle by sprinkling with sugar.

I have a recipe for chocolate-covered coffee bean cookies & black & whites. If you're interested, let me know.

Last edited:
Here are some of my favorites - Will post the recipes if you're interested in any of these:

Chocolate Espresso Chews (intensely deep chocolatey and decadent)
Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Coconut Cookies (I used almonds)
Cinnamon Cookies
Mocha Truffle Cookies
Jam Thumbprints (Barefoot Contessa)
Mexican Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

White Chocolate Cherry Almond Cookies (this is the only one that's not T&T, but I've posted it on other forums, and it's come back with great reviews).

Wow! They all sound good. If you don't mind posting, I'd be interested in the chocolate espresso chews, mocha truffle cookies, jam thumbprints, and white chocolate cherry almond cookies. The rest sound great as well but I've got recipes that sound close to those. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Here ya go:

CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO CHEWS

(NOTE: This was originally posted with 1/4 cup flour, which is incorrect. It should be 1 1/4 cups, as noted below).

"This recipe will yield about 2 1/2 dozen 3-inch cookies, (I made about 42 - 2 1/2 " cookies), but you can make this simple cookie any size you want."

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided (Jansen uses Ghirardelli) (I also used Ghirardelli)
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely ground dark-roast coffee beans (I used 2 1/2 tsp finely ground espresso beans)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, toasted,* then coarsely chopped (I omitted these)

DIRECTIONS:

Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt 2 cups of the chocolate chips, the unsweetened chocolate and butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. (I used a double boiler). Set aside.

In the large bowl of a stand mixer on high speed, beat the eggs, sugar, ground coffee and vanilla extract until thick ribbons form and the mixture has doubled in volume. By hand, stir in the melted chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined, then add the dry ingredients, chopped walnuts and the remaining chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Have ready some large baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

Make golf ball-size scoops of dough, spacing them about 2 inches apart. (I did very rounded Tbsp). Bake, in batches, 10 to 12 minutes; the tops will crack, but the cookies should be gooey inside. (I baked 10 minutes). Cool on the baking sheets at least 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

* To toast the nuts, spread them on a baking sheet and bake in a 325-degree oven for about 6 minutes. Watch carefully because nuts will burn quickly.

Store in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. For long-term freezing, wrap the cookies individually in aluminum foil and place in resealable plastic food storage bags.

From Kate Jansen - Firehook Bakery

MOCHA TRUFFLE COOKIES

"These double-chocolate cookies have a soft trufflelike center, a crispy outside, and a delectable coffee flavor."

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter (I use unsalted)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces (I use 3 oz Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate, chopped)
1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals (I use 1 1/2 Tbsp instant espresso)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I use dark brown)
2 beaten eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Dutch processed)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces (I use Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F for dark pans). Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.

2. In a large saucepan, (I use a double boiler), melt butter and the 1/2 cup chocolate pieces over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in coffee crystals; cool 5 minutes. Stir in sugars, eggs, and vanilla.

3. In a medium mixing bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir into chocolate/coffee mixture. Fold in the 1 cup chocolate pieces. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets.

4. Bake about 10 minutes. (Do not overbake! Cookies should remain very soft, almost raw to the touch in the centers; the edges will become crunchy when cooled).

5. Let cool 1 minute before removing from sheets to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 30 cookies.

Edited from Better Homes and Gardens

JAM THUMBPRINTS

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar (I used 2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I used regular salt)
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used all fruit-sweetened jam)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (My note: line cookie sheets with parchment paper).
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until just combined, and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. (I divided the dough in half and placed each half onto a piece of plastic wrap, flattened into disks, and covered with extra plastic wrap). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1-ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet (about 1 1/2 - 2 " apart), and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. (I baked about 16 - 17 minutes). Cool and serve.

Yield: 32 cookies

Barefoot Contessa

WHITE CHOCOLATE CHERRY ALMOND COOKIES

From the poster: "...used unsalted butter and increased the salt a bit. The recipe didn’t say to toast the almonds, but I toasted them at 350 for about 11 minutes, let them cool, then chopped them. I also used a cut-up white chocolate baking bar instead of white chips. Finally, I changed the name because I didn’t find them chewy. They were really delicious, though! Maybe they’ll get chewy after they sit around for a while..."

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, measured by spooning and sweeping
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (see butter note)
8 oz butter, room temperature (if using unsalted butter, increase the salt to a generous 1/2 teaspoon)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon each – almond extract & vanilla extract
1 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups whole almonds, toasted and chopped by hand
6 ounces white baking chocolate, cut into chunks

DIRECTIONS:

Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs and extracts; beat on low speed for about 10 seconds.

Using lowest speed of mixer or by hand, stir in flour mixture. When flour is incorporated, stir in cherries, almonds and white chocolate. Chill dough for about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Place on center rack of preheated 350F oven, and bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.

Makes about 36 cookies

Adapted from a 5 star prize winner on the Better Homes and Gardens site, "Better Recipes."

I just posted 2 real simple ones on another thread.

Quick Pumpkin Cookies.
1 box Spice Cake Mix
1-15oz can of pure pumkin
Mix the 2 together and drop by teaspoon on greased baking sheet
I use parchment paper instead of greasing, they come out great.
Moist and soft cookie

Oreo Truffles
1 pkg oreos crushed
1-8oz pkg cream cheese softened.
mix together and for into small balls (there are rich)
dip into melted chocolate

I have use different chocolate chips for the melting of the chocolate, like rasberry flavor,
mint, peanut butter

Letscook - I actually have the oreo truffles bookmarked on the recipe site I like. And I just found the pumpkin cookies on here yesterday! Thanks for reminding me about them though, they both sound great.

Merstar - thanks SO much for posting those recipes. I'll definitely try them sometime, even if it doesn't end up being this weekend (I hope it will though!)

i came across this recipe and thought i would give it a try this weekend

Pumpkin Cookies

2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c. butter. softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Combine flour and baking soda. set aside. in another bowl, blend butter and powdered sugar together; add pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and egg. mix in flour mixture; blend well. cover dough. refigerate for 2 hours. roll dough out on a lightly floured surface. cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 on ungreased cookie sheet until golden about 8 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.

Not tried and true yet.

Here is a recipe that I made by accident and it came out simply wonderful. We've all made chocolate no-bake cookies. Well these are vanilla/coconut no-bake cookies. Here's the recipe.

Vanilla/Coconut No-Bake Cookies:
3 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
1 c. chopped pecans

1-1/3 c. coconut
1 c. chopped nuts
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt the butter over low heat. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add to the butter and cook until everything begins to bubble. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and drop by tablespoon-fulls onto waxed paper and let cool. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Merstar - thanks SO much for posting those recipes. I'll definitely try them sometime, even if it doesn't end up being this weekend (I hope it will though!)

You're very welcome, CherryRed. If you make any of these, let me know how they turn out!

White Chip Meringue Bars

Crust...

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

Directions:

Combine flour and powdered sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry
blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly onto bottom of
ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake in 375-degree oven for 10- 12 minutes
or until set.

Topping...

2 c. (12-ounce package) Nestle Toll House Premier White Morsels®
1 and 1/4 c. coarsely chopped nuts, divided
3 large egg whites
1 c. packed brown sugar

Directions:

Sprinkle morsels and 1 cup nuts over hot crust. Beat egg whites in small
mixer bowl until frothy. Gradually add brown sugar. Beat until stiff peaks
form. Carefully spread meringue over morsels and nuts. Sprinkle with
remaining nuts. Bake in 375-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden
brown. Serve warm or cool completely.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pan Cookies

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pan Cookies
1-1/4 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cup (12 oz.) pkg. peanut butter chips

In mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla;
beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually blend into
creamed mixture. Stir in chips. Spread batter into 15x10 greased baking pan.
Bake 20 minutes or until set at 350.:chef:

Mint Cookies

Mint Cookies
3/4 cup butter
2 Tbs. water
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
2 eggs
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 boxes Andes mints

Combine first four ingredients and melt. Cool 10 minutes. Add eggs, soda,
flour and salt. Roll in very small balls. Bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes. Place
Andes mint on top of hot cookie, let melt and swirl with toothpick or spoon.

:cool:

I've decided!

I'm making the lemon cookies I mentioned finding and the chocolate cherry cookies posted by Andy M. My boyfriend and I looked through this thread together and agreed that those would go over well.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I know I'll get a chance to try everyone's recipes soon. I'll post back here with how everything comes out. :)

Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 C Butter, softened
1 1/4 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 C Cherry Pie Filling
1 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 C Walnuts - coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until lightly fluffy, about one minute.

Add the eggs one at a time and beat for 30 seconds after each addition. Add the almond extract and continue to beat until well blended. About 20 seconds.

Add the dry ingredients a quarter at a time, beating after each addition until well mixed, about 40 seconds.

Add the pie filling, chips and nuts. Mix until just blended.

Drop the dough in rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 9-11 minutes.

Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack.

Ok, here's the verdict: These cookies would've been awesome if I did them right.

I had a little problem with time. I had planned to make my cookies the morning before our get-together, but things ended up busier than planned so I was left with only an hour and a half to throw a recipe together. Making the dough was quick and very simple - no problems there.

I wish I could've chilled it a little longer before I had to start baking. It seemed the first two batches were rather flat because they were spreading too quickly.

Then there was the issue of cooling them on the sheet enough to move them to a wire rack. I cooked them for 10 minutes so that they were lightly golden around the edges but still soft. In retrospect maybe I should've done 11? Anyway, I didn't have time to let them cool for ages so I moved them before they had properly set.

The other problem I ran into was transporting them. Some were still pretty warm when I put them into their tupperware containers, so of course they sort of melted to each other on the drive there. If I'd had more time, I doubt this would have been a problem.

Now, on to the good stuff!

The taste was awesome. Everyone at this get-together seemed to like eating them despite their sort of messy appearance. I'll even admit tasting the batter when it "accidentally" got on my thumb - it reminded me of cherry vanilla ice cream or something. Yummy! And as I said before, the dough was really simple to assemble.

I will definitely be making these again in the future, except I'll leave enough time to do the recipe justice. :rolleyes::LOL:

Thanks Andy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom