ISO - Help Raisin Filled Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
When I was little my mother made a raisin filled cookie, it was a cookie with raisin filling then covered with the dough or cookie part, kind of like a ravoli.
I can't find any recipe's on youtube. I just need an idea or suggestion for the cookie part not the filling.

When I was little my mother made a raisin filled cookie, it was a cookie with raisin filling then covered with the dough or cookie part, kind of like a ravoli.
I can't find any recipe's on youtube. I just need an idea or suggestion for the cookie part not the filling.

There are lots of recipes online through Google. Here's one: Raisin-Filled Cookies Recipe | Taste of Home

We always had them with date filling or mincemeat, sort of a hand pie or turnover. I think you could substitute chopped raisins with good results.

This is the recipe I grew up with!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Date Surprises from 1933 General Foods Cookbook titled All about Home Baking[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 cups sifted flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 t baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2/3 cup butter or shortening[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 t vanilla[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/3 cup milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sift dry ingredients together. Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla. Then add flour to butter sugar, egg mixture gradually alternating with the milk. Chill dough. Roll 1/8 inch thick and cut with 2 ½ inch round cutter. Place a teaspoon of date mixture in center and top with another round of dough. Seal/crimp edges. Bake on an ungreased tin in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date Filling[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups pitted and chopped dates[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2/3 cup white sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2/3 cup boiling water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 T lemon juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1T butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cook water, dates and sugar together for 6 to 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from fire, add lemon juice and butter. Cool[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTES:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can substitute orange juice for the water along with some grated orange zest for a flavor boost.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is the recipe we use for date pinwheels. Just roll dough and spread with date mixture roll up. Chill, slice and bake. [/FONT]

Last edited:
thanks aunt bea and GotGarlic, I am all set now, I usually look into youtube for most things i want to look up, guess i'll have to use goggle more often.

Glad to help :) I search YouTube if there's something I want to see demonstrated. Otherwise, it's Google. Google has indexed a lot more of what's on the Internet than YouTube, since YouTube is limited to videos.

In the UK we have a cookie called a fig roll. If you replaced the figs with raisins would it be what you are looking for? There's a photo with the following recipe.

Fig rolls recipe - All recipes UK

And yet another filled cookie recipe. My Mother made these every Christmas, and so I make them every Christmas to honor her memory. These were her favorite cookies. They are date filled, like Aunt Bea's. And like hers, it would be easy enough to substitute a raisin filling.

Grandma’s Date Filled Cookies

Date cookies with oatmeal and brown sugar, shared on our forum.
Ingredients:

Cookie:
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. Butter
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs
2 c. oatmeal
2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. Baking Powder in flour

Filling:
1 pkg. dates, finely chopped
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. Water
Or 1 can canned Date Filling

Preparation:
Cook filling until thickened. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour and soda alternately with sour milk, then add oatmeal. Roll out on floured board, cut with cookie cutter. Put one teaspoon of dough filling on cookie and cover with another cookie. Bake at about 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom