ISO help/tips/advice making cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A discipline that I do not have is to take it out when it says to take them out. They seemed to soft, so I left em in. They taste great but they were too crispy. They were fine when they were cooling but when completely cooled, bricks.

Keep practicing. It is through your errors that you learn. I always take it out and test it at the lowest time given for removal from the oven. If it says 20-30 minutes, I take it out at 20 minutes. Also, get yourself a timer. And set it for the lower number. I would rather have cookies undercooked, than overcooked. And who doesn't love cookie dough. Remember, the residual heat continues the cooking process.

By the time you get the practice of timing down to an art, your family is going to have a lot of great cookies and other goodies.

And we are always here to answer any questions you may have. :angel:

A discipline that I do not have is to take it out when it says to take them out. They seemed to soft, so I left em in. They taste great but they were too crispy. They were fine when they were cooling but when completely cooled, bricks.

This is part of the learning process. "Just another two minutes to be safe" is the difference between bricks and crispy cookies or dry cake and moist cake.

I'll try again with chocolate chip. Regular toll house recipe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I'll try again with chocolate chip. Regular toll house recipe

Good for you. And if possible please take a picture. We love to look at food as well as eat it. Don't give up. The first time I ever attempted to make bread, it came out as a soggy loaf of bread not even done inside. But I kept at it and can now make the best loaf of bread. In fact one of my kids asked me why I quit making it. I live alone now, and no way can I eat a whole loaf of bread. And I don't really like bread. But if one of my kids were to ask me to make a loaf for a special dinner, I would. I enjoy the process of kneading it.

We look forward to you next attempt. And good luck. :angel:

Last edited:
We like the Land O Lakes Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe now much better
The huge tip that I found on this recipe is to make up the cookie dough and leave it rest in the `fridge for 2 days... gigantic difference! I also use a disher or a small ice cream scoop to portion each cookie uniformity and even baking.

cookies 007.JPG cookies 008.jpg

These have the right combination of crisp/chewy/thickness and
BUTTER!

We like the Land O Lakes Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe now much better
The huge tip that I found on this recipe is to make up the cookie dough and leave it rest in the `fridge for 2 days... gigantic difference! I also use a disher or a small ice cream scoop to portion each cookie uniformity and even baking.

View attachment 22226 View attachment 22227

These have the right combination of crisp/chewy/thickness and
BUTTER!

Ummm.... I'd eat the dough

This is part of the learning process. "Just another two minutes to be safe" is the difference between bricks and crispy cookies or dry cake and moist cake.

That's a big problem for control freaks like me, and one of the major reasons I don't bake, and am seldom successful when I do. I can't think of anything other than baking, when a minute or two one way or another makes a flip of difference, but with baking it means everything.

I believe I will try the Lando Lakes recipe. I love that stuff by the way. On roasted silver queen corn fresh off the grill using the husk as a handle. Now I'm hangry

I had a girlfriend that was giving a birthday party for her five year old. She made chocolate chips cookies, but baked them in muffin tins. She waited until they cooled down before removing them from the tin. Then she took a scoop of ice cream and put one scoop in each cookie. She deliberately baked the cookies so that when cooled, they were crisp. Hmmm... I should give that a try. Sounds like the perfect holiday dessert. Not too filling and who doesn't love ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why I haven't tried this before.

I have three different size dashers for the cookies. Use the large one for the cookie and a smaller one for the ice cream. I would want the cookies to be thick enough to stand up to the ice cream. :angel:

I had a girlfriend that was giving a birthday party for her five year old. She made chocolate chips cookies, but baked them in muffin tins. She waited until they cooled down before removing them from the tin. Then she took a scoop of ice cream and put one scoop in each cookie. She deliberately baked the cookies so that when cooled, they were crisp. Hmmm... I should give that a try. Sounds like the perfect holiday dessert. Not too filling and who doesn't love ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why I haven't tried this before.

I have three different size dashers for the cookies. Use the large one for the cookie and a smaller one for the ice cream. I would want the cookies to be thick enough to stand up to the ice cream. :angel:

I guess you could just make chocolate chip cookie bars and scoop ice cream on them.

Ok. So I made the cookies using the Land O Lakes recipe. Good news first. There are only 4 left. They were amazing. Bad news. The dough was the consistency of Play Dough. I lost one of my two cheap-o-matic hand mixers. I took them out at 12 minutes. I don't have a cooling rack but they did ok on plates.

Attachments

• 1416767665740.jpg
    1416767665740.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 177
Cookie doughs can be problematic for hand mixers. Too big of a batch in a stand mixer can be a problem too. I mix them by hand or make smaller batches in the mixer.

Congrats, they look great! Sorry about your collateral damage.

It's ok. It was a cheap one. I have another cheap one. I need a kitchen aid mixer

On the rare occasion that I bake cookies, I use the hand mixer just to cream the softened butter and sugar. Then I mix the rest by hand.

How much of a necessity is the cooling rack? I didn't have one but I transferred directly to the plate and it seemed fine

You can recruit your broiler pan tray, a dehydrator tray, or even a laundry rack as a cooling rack. It seems to help with texture.

Also.... just bought a thermometr. On sale for $10. I preheat the oven to 350. It says 300 on the thermometer.... alas...

Back
Top Bottom