"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a girlfriend that was giving a birthday party for her five year old. She made chocolate chips cookies, but baked them in muffin tins. She waited until they cooled down before removing them from the tin. Then she took a scoop of ice cream and put one scoop in each cookie. She deliberately baked the cookies so that when cooled, they were crisp. Hmmm... I should give that a try. Sounds like the perfect holiday dessert. Not too filling and who doesn't love ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why I haven't tried this before.

I have three different size dashers for the cookies. Use the large one for the cookie and a smaller one for the ice cream. I would want the cookies to be thick enough to stand up to the ice cream.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had a girlfriend that was giving a birthday party for her five year old. She made chocolate chips cookies, but baked them in muffin tins. She waited until they cooled down before removing them from the tin. Then she took a scoop of ice cream and put one scoop in each cookie. She deliberately baked the cookies so that when cooled, they were crisp. Hmmm... I should give that a try. Sounds like the perfect holiday dessert. Not too filling and who doesn't love ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why I haven't tried this before.

I have three different size dashers for the cookies. Use the large one for the cookie and a smaller one for the ice cream. I would want the cookies to be thick enough to stand up to the ice cream.
I guess you could just make chocolate chip cookie bars and scoop ice cream on them.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Ok. So I made the cookies using the Land O Lakes recipe. Good news first. There are only 4 left. They were amazing. Bad news. The dough was the consistency of Play Dough. I lost one of my two cheap-o-matic hand mixers. I took them out at 12 minutes. I don't have a cooling rack but they did ok on plates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416767665740.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	22260  
Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Cookie doughs can be problematic for hand mixers. Too big of a batch in a stand mixer can be a problem too. I mix them by hand or make smaller batches in the mixer.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Congrats, they look great! Sorry about your collateral damage.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

It's ok. It was a cheap one. I have another cheap one. I need a kitchen aid mixer

Old 11-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

On the rare occasion that I bake cookies, I use the hand mixer just to cream the softened butter and sugar. Then I mix the rest by hand.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

How much of a necessity is the cooling rack? I didn't have one but I transferred directly to the plate and it seemed fine

Old 11-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO help/tips/advice making cookies

You can recruit your broiler pan tray, a dehydrator tray, or even a laundry rack as a cooling rack. It seems to help with texture.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Also.... just bought a thermometr. On sale for $10. I preheat the oven to 350. It says 300 on the thermometer.... alas...

Tags
cookies