ISO help/tips/advice making cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have kept butter out for nearly a week and used it for spread... never got sick...

Me too. I have a covered stainless steel butter dish with a cover. It holds two sticks at a time. Or I could put a tub (whole) in it. In the warm weather I will put it in the fridge for a couple of hours if I am not going to be using it. Otherwise, it sits on the counter near the toaster oven. :angel:

Ok, I am going to the store to get real butter on the way home. Salted vs unsalted in baking? Pros? Cons?
And Addie, I love your sig!
christian.gif

I like unsalted, as I can always add my own salt. But I might get salted if you are doing your first cookie baking foray.

Ok, I am going to the store to get real butter on the way home. Salted vs unsalted in baking? Pros? Cons?
And Addie, I love your sig!
christian.gif

Some recipes call for unsalted, some don't specify. If it's an old recipe, you should use salted. Frankly, I can't tell the difference in baking.

For table use, I'd recommend salted. It tastes much better on waffles, bread, etc.

Some recipes call for unsalted, some don't specify. If it's an old recipe, you should use salted. Frankly, I can't tell the difference in baking.

For table use, I'd recommend salted. It tastes much better on waffles, bread, etc.

I never buy unsalted butter. If I feel that the recipe will be over salted, then I will adjust the amount of salt that I put in myself. :angel:

Technique is important too when making cookies. Cream the softened butter by itself. Then add the sugar(s) and cream again. This takes several minutes.

Technique is important too when making cookies. Cream the softened butter by itself. Then add the sugar(s) and cream again. This takes several minutes.

Great advice.

I too have a butter bell. Just make sure you change the water each day. Start with ice cold water and it will keep your butter tasting fresh all day. :angel:

Ok... bought the butter. Followed the recipe. I put the cookie dough balls in the freezer but I tried 4 to see what would happen. They still looked like a muffin on top. So while they were cooking I pressed them down. It actually worked. They were firm, chewy, and a little crispy on the edges but not burnt. Just how I liked them.

Ok... bought the butter. Followed the recipe. I put the cookie dough balls in the freezer but I tried 4 to see what would happen. They still looked like a muffin on top. So while they were cooking I pressed them down. It actually worked. They were firm, chewy, and a little crispy on the edges but not burnt. Just how I liked them.

Once again DC to the rescue (William Tell Overture here please). Glad you had a success. :angel:

You don't really have to freeze them through. Just chill the dough in the fridge.

Did I do the right thing by pressing them down? I like my sugar cookies flat like a pancake, a little crispy yet chewy and pliable.
Yes, texture is very important to me.

Did I do the right thing by pressing them down? I like my sugar cookies flat like a pancake, a little crispy yet chewy and pliable.
Yes, texture is very important to me.

Texture should be important to you.

Sugar cookie recipes usually have you roll out the dough to a 1/4" thick then use cookie cutters to stamp out the cookies for the cookie sheet.

The recipe you linked has you flattening the individual dough balls. Just follow the directions and you should get what you want.

Texture should be important to you.

Sugar cookie recipes usually have you roll out the dough to a 1/4" thick then use cookie cutters to stamp out the cookies for the cookie sheet.

The recipe you linked has you flattening the individual dough balls. Just follow the directions and you should get what you want.

I just get so confused. My brain thrives on grilled meats, rubs, and marinades - I can make my own and do pretty well. I'm not too bad with pastas and sauces if I have a recipe. Pastries and desserts... uhhhm... not my thing but I wanna learn

I just get so confused. My brain thrives on grilled meats, rubs, and marinades - I can make my own and do pretty well. I'm not too bad with pastas and sauces if I have a recipe. Pastries and desserts... uhhhm... not my thing but I wanna learn

Read the recipe through to understand the process. Then take the recipe one step at a time. Collect all the ingredients and measure them out before you start. Then follow the instructions.

If you break it down into smaller pieces, it's easier to deal with.

Keep in mind baking is not like other cooking. You can modify a rub recipe by leaving out one or more ingredients and adding others you like better.

You cannot do that with baking recipes. There is an interdependence among the ingredients.

Thoroughly creaming the butter and sugar together is important to creating a structure for the dough so it will rise properly. There are two leavening agents for the right amount of lift. Because there is baking soda, there has to be an acidic ingredient to activate it. That's why there is buttermilk in the recipe - to provide the acid. You are instructed to use AP flour. If you switched to cake flour, you'd have to change the quantity because cake flour has less gluten and cannot absorb as much liquid as AP flour. Also, less gluten in the flour can effect how much the cookies rise.

Baking takes more discipline to follow the recipe.

Read the recipe through to understand the process. Then take the recipe one step at a time. Collect all the ingredients and measure them out before you start. Then follow the instructions.

If you break it down into smaller pieces, it's easier to deal with.

Keep in mind baking is not like other cooking. You can modify a rub recipe by leaving out one or more ingredients and adding others you like better.

You cannot do that with baking recipes. There is an interdependence among the ingredients.

Thoroughly creaming the butter and sugar together is important to creating a structure for the dough so it will rise properly. There are two leavening agents for the right amount of lift. Because there is baking soda, there has to be an acidic ingredient to activate it. That's why there is buttermilk in the recipe - to provide the acid. You are instructed to use AP flour. If you switched to cake flour, you'd have to change the quantity because cake flour has less gluten and cannot absorb as much liquid as AP flour. Also, less gluten in the flour can effect how much the cookies rise.

Baking takes more discipline to follow the recipe.

A discipline that I do not have is to take it out when it says to take them out. They seemed to soft, so I left em in. They taste great but they were too crispy. They were fine when they were cooling but when completely cooled, bricks.

Back
Top Bottom