ISO help/tips with butter vs. margarine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liz2727

Assistant Cook
If a recipe calls for butter and says "no substitutions" can I still substitute with margarine? I'm not sure if it says to only use butter because of the taste or will the consistency be off? This is my first year baking a lot of christmas cookies and I'm learning a lot.:):(

I don't bake alot, but as far as I know if it says butter and they emphasize no substitutions, you should go ahead and use butter.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. I really want to make a certain kind of cookie tonight, but I don't have any butter and was hoping it would be ok, but I'll just wait until tomorrow.

There is no reason ever to use margerine, IMO, unless cholesterol or dairy intolerance are issues.

But yes, I agree with the others, margerine is hydrogentaed so solid at room temp, whereas butter is not, so they do not produce similar results in many baked goods.

I would go with butter.

But if you want to try margarine, go with a small batch first and see how itworks.

I grew up on margarine and had an epiphany when I first tried butter.

Will never use the faux oleo again.

Hust my preference.

I just baked cookies the other day. Two of my (very old) recipes called for margarine and I subbed with butter. No problems, they are delicious.

Back
Top Bottom