ISO - Help With Oatmeal Cookie Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yummy tummy

Assistant Cook
Well, I like to do my due diligence, so i went to the forum search bar and looked in the archives and did not find the recipe I wanted.

I almost added a question to some past threads, but they were ten years old! ( the threads).

I also did some google searches and "all recipes".com..
but all the recipes I found seemed to use sugar and had many multiple ingredients, which seemed to me to be unnecessary.

I am telling you all of this because i really appreciate your time and i want to put my own efforts into finding what I am asking you for ..before I ask at the forum. That is the way I am.. Time is precious for everyone!

I am looking for a chewy oatmeal raisin cookie recipe made with honey and not sugar. I may substitute half the fat with applesauce, as that is what I just did with a cake. Although I might not need to.

Simplicity is the keyword for the recipes I like to use.
My friends find the finished products easier to digest if the ingredients are fewer.

so, your mission, good bakers, should you choose to accept it.
(Mission Possible)..is

can someone provide me with a recipe for the above.?

thanking you , whether you respond or not!

yum

You may subsitute honey for sugar ---- for a cup of sugar, use 3/4 cup of honey or maybe even a little less depending on the sweetness you want in the cookies. Some recipes say that when you use honey instead of sugar, you should lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees. You may have to do a little experimenting before you find the recipe you like best. Good Luck! Let us know when you find the recipe you like.

Need new recipe help

You got me curious, Andy, so I compared the recipe in the link to the one under the lid in my QO box, and they're the same. Huh.

Last edited:
You got me curious, Andy, so I compared the recipe in the link to the one under the lid in my QO box, and they're the same. Huh.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I had copied my recipe from an oatmeal box into a WORD document about a dozen years ago. I compared that old recipe to the recipe in your link. I'm saying Quaker changed the recipe.

Butter reduced by 2 tablespoons from 1 cup to 1/2 cup+6 tablespoons.
Brown Sugar reduced from 1 cup to 3/4 cup.
Cooking time reduced from 10-12 minutes to 8-10 minutes.

Thank you Dawglover, Andy and Shelly cooks.

I did do a google search before I posted my question, as i mentioned. I used different wording from yours, Shelly.. but did find some recipes.

Basically, the ingredients were too rich in ingredients and all had sugar.
Thank you for the substitution information !

also, I do not have an electric mixer.

I am not a real cook..just a learner ..and one who likes really simple recipes to work with.

THANK YOU ALL for your help.

yum

Need new recipe help

That's interesting, Andy, I've only made the more recent version, and still love them.

I've made them without an electric mixer, just beat the heck out of them as long as you can. They're a bit denser, but still tasty!

Last edited:
found a recipe

Found a recipe on the internet.

will run it by you all, if that is ok...MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU PROS ARE IN BLACK ITALIC BELOW:

CHEWY OATMEAL COOKIES
1 cup sifted flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup butter flavor shortening
( am going to substitute applesauce and sunflower oil to make 3/4 cup[half and half of each]) to reduce fat in cookies.. would this be ok.?
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
substituting sugar amount above with one cup of honey..ok?
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 cup raisins (I combine dark and golden)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use English or black walnuts)

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add next 4 ingredients. Beat about 2 minutes till smooth. Have to beat by hand ..is this ok?

Stir in oats, raisins, and nuts; drop by heaping teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen

may i ask your sage advice on the above recipe.?

yum

That's my fave oatmeal cookie recipe, too. I've tried others, but always go back to that one. I usually pour a little hot water over the raisins before mixing them in the batter to 'plump' them up a little, I guess because that's what my mom always did. :LOL: If the raisins have been in my fridge for a while, I think that does help tender them up a bit. :)

That's interesting, Andy, I've only made the more recent version, and still love them.

I've made them without an electric mixer, just beat the heck out of them as long as you can. They're a bit denser, but still tasty!

I use my trusty KA.

Need new recipe help

Neither do I. I thought I was probably the only one here who didn't. :LOL:

:LOL: Since I bake maybe once a year, and when I do it's usually Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies, I figure I didn't need a trusty KA. I do have a little hand mixer. Just can never find the beater blades.

Yummy, I would try all the tweaks you asked about. Cookies are hard to mess up, and if they don't work, you can crumble them in ice cream, or repurpose them in apple crisp.

Let us know how they turn out!

Last edited:
I also found "Honey Oatmeal cookies" with a search using that wording. One recipe is at All recipes and it does not call for sugar as an ingredient. Altho, there several ingredients in the recipe.

found that one also, Oldvine..in my searches..

I do have a good number of recipes now.

time to get onto the business of actually baking.!

cheerio !

many thanks

yum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom