ISO Perfect gingerbread cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I was at a store called Tim Hortons.. its kinda like starbucks in America..and they had a santa claus gingerbread cookie there.. and I am not much for gingerbread cookies.. but this cookie was amazing.. soo now I am craving gingerbread cookies.. anybody have a TNT recipe?

Hi Debbie ~ Here is my recipe for Big Soft Ginger Cookies. A friend gave it to me several years ago. I love to make these cookies for the holidays They are great with hot chocolate, cider, eggnog, coffee, or tea. You may adjust the ginger to your taste. Hope you give them a try!

BIG SOFT GINGER COOKIES
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Mix together the flour, soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then stir in the water and molasses.

Gradually stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture. Shape the dough into walnut sized balls and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined or ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Thank you AuntShelly!!.... since they are called big and soft.. they probably won't work for Gingerbread men??

You're right, Debbie. The recipe for Big Soft Ginger Cookies is not for cut out cookies, but they are good, especially with a little ginger flavored powdered sugar glaze drizzled over them.
Anyway, here is a recipe for gingerbread cut out cookies from Williams-Sonoma. I've had it in my cookie recipe box for a long time, but never tried it so can't comment.

GINGERBREAD PALS

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
flour or powdered sugar for rolling out cookies

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Adjust oven racks to the center of the oven. Lightly grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.

Combine brown sugar and butter in another mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until well blended. Add milk and beat until milk is fully incorporated. Turn the mixer to low and gradually add the flour mixture. When the dough becomes too stiff for mixing with the electric mixer, add the remaining flour mixture to the dough and knead by hand until dough is smooth and well blended. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a ball.

Sprinkle a light coating of flour or powdered sugar over the rolling pin and over a clean flat surface. Place one ball of dough on surface and roll into a flat rectangle approximately 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Using cookie cutters, firmly cut out shapes and transfer to a baking sheet. Gather scraps of dough, roll together and knead until smooth (if dough is too crumbly, add a few drops of milk). Allow to rest while rolling out second ball of dough. Continue until all the dough is used.

Bake cookies until lightly browned, approximately 10-12 minutes. Remove from sheet, transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting or decorating.

Last edited:
Here is my grandma's recipe for ginger cookies. we make them every year at Christmas time.

Millie's Ginger Cookies

Preheat oven to 375

4 eggs (beaten)
Add 2 cups sugar (with whisk)
Add 1 cup plus 1 TBSP of vegtable or canola oil)
Add 1 cup of DARK unsulfured molasses
(Brand- use Grandma's with the green label on the jar- Millie swears this is the secret)
Add 2 tsp ginger
Add 2 tsp baking soda
Add 1/2 tsp salt
Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon
whisk together good or mix
Add 4 Cups of flour and up to 1 addtional cup of flour
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and
bake 7-9 minutes ( when puffed up - they are done)

Do NOT overbake.
Can refrigerate dough overnight.

Alix, the link still turns up the "no matches found." Hope I didn't jinx it by clicking on it!! If I did.......sorry and I will go back to my corner.

GRRRRR!!! OK, so go into the search function, choose Advanced, select Titles only, and then type in gingerbread in the box. It worked for me but maybe its because it was my search. LOL! Sorry folks.

auntieshelly said:
Hi Debbie ~ Here is my recipe for Big Soft Ginger Cookies. A friend gave it to me several years ago. I love to make these cookies for the holidays They are great with hot chocolate, cider, eggnog, coffee, or tea. You may adjust the ginger to your taste. Hope you give them a try!

BIG SOFT GINGER COOKIES
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Mix together the flour, soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then stir in the water and molasses.

Gradually stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture. Shape the dough into walnut sized balls and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined or ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe, they sound wonderful. Can't wait to make them for Christmas.:)

Back
Top Bottom