ISO - Sour Cream Cookie Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okiebaker

Assistant Cook
My aunit had a recipe for sour cream cookies that would melt in your mouth. My mother gave me the recipe and left out an ingredient. If anyone has a recipe would you please let me know. They were like the kind you see in places like Walmart but taste 1000 times better.:chef:

I have this one, I don't know if it is what you are looking for
thick and soft sugar cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
5 1/2 cups flour

In mixer, cream butter and sugar, and then add eggs and vanilla. Add sour cream. Combine salt, soda, and flour, and add to mixture.
Roll out on floured surface to about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.
Use a spatula to carefully slide under each cookie and place onto greased (with Pam) parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes.
THEY WILL NOT LOOK DONE!
But don't give in to your temptation to cook "just a little bit longer" or you will get crunchy cookies instead of soft, pillow-like cookies.
They are still very pale and have no browning anywhere. If you have a golden brown color along the edges then you have baked them too long.
Wait about 5 minutes and then transfer carefully to a cooling rack. If you wait longer they will get soggy on the bottom and sometimes get stuck to the parchment paper.
Once they are cooled they are ready for frosting.
simple buttercream frosting I use:
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4-1/3 cup milk
In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Beat in sugar and vanilla until crumbly. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Add desired food coloring.

I think you might be looking for a Spritz recipe - they are usually made with a cookie press in cool shapes. Here's a link to the one I use - it's awesome and very easy to make Sour Cream Spritz Cookies Recipe - Food.com - 416157

cookies.jpg

I have this one, I don't know if it is what you are looking for
thick and soft sugar cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
5 1/2 cups flour

In mixer, cream butter and sugar, and then add eggs and vanilla. Add sour cream. Combine salt, soda, and flour, and add to mixture.
Roll out on floured surface to about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.
Use a spatula to carefully slide under each cookie and place onto greased (with Pam) parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes.
THEY WILL NOT LOOK DONE!
But don't give in to your temptation to cook "just a little bit longer" or you will get crunchy cookies instead of soft, pillow-like cookies.
They are still very pale and have no browning anywhere. If you have a golden brown color along the edges then you have baked them too long.
Wait about 5 minutes and then transfer carefully to a cooling rack. If you wait longer they will get soggy on the bottom and sometimes get stuck to the parchment paper.
Once they are cooled they are ready for frosting.
simple buttercream frosting I use:
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4-1/3 cup milk
In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Beat in sugar and vanilla until crumbly. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Add desired food coloring.

My grandma's recipe is similar to the above, but included cream of tartar.

I think you might be looking for a Spritz recipe - they are usually made with a cookie press in cool shapes. Here's a link to the one I use - it's awesome and very easy to make Sour Cream Spritz Cookies Recipe - Food.com - 416157

View attachment 15991
My grandma made a lot of spritz cookies. But, her best did not include sour milk (which is what she used in place of sour cream or buttermilk)--a lot of butter. I can post the recipes, but they were not sour cream cookies...

Back
Top Bottom