ISO Sugar Cookie Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking for a great recipe for sugar cookies. I've been searching forever but haven't found one that is as good as the one's you find at the store bakeries.

Hi, Sugar 'N Spice,

Several years ago I wrote a cookies and muffins cookbook. Here's my favorite Sugar Cookie recipe from that book. Hope it works out well for you.

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat thoroughly. Stir in vanilla, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually mix in flour. Form dough into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet' Using the tines of a fork which has been dipped in flour, gently press each ball into a 1 1/2" circle. Bake for about 7 to 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Sprinkle with granulated sugar just before cookies cool.

Here's two!

I got these out of my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. Hope they help.

SUGAR COOKIE CUTOUTS
Makes 36 Cookies

2/3 C Butter, softened
3/4 C granulated Sugar
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Egg
1 T Milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla
2 C All-Purpose Flour
1 recipe Powdered Sugar Icing(OPTIONAL)

In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla until combined.Beat in a much of the flour as you can with mixer. Stir in any remaining four. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a timeuntil 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes. Place one inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake in a 375* oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, frost with powdered sugar icing.

POWDERED SUGAR ICING
Makes 1/2 Cup

1 C sifted Powdered Sugar
1/4 Tsp Vanilla
1 T Milk or Orange Juice

In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir in addtional milk, 1 Tsp at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
FOR CHOCOLATE: Prepare as above except add 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder to the powdered sugar and only use milk not orange juice.

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies
Makes 60 Cookies

1/2 C Butter, softened
1/2 C Shortening
2 C Sugar
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Cream of Tartar
1/8 tsp Salt
3 Egg Yolks
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 C All-Purpose Flour

In a large bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tarter, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can. Stir in remaining flour.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreasd cookie sheet. Bake in a 300* oven about 15 minutes or until sides are set (do not let edges brown). Cool on cookie sheet for one minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

Here's my kids favorite sugar cookie recipe. Sometimes I press the rounds in sprinkles instead of granulated sugar.

Vanilla Sugar Cookies

3/4 c butter,softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups all purpose flour
Colored granulated sugar or sprinkles

In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.Add the egg, vanilla, and salt;beat until smooth
Mix in flour;mix until soft dough forms.
Divide dough in half,then wrap each half in wax paper to form a cylinder about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.Chill dough about 2 hours.
Preheat oven 350
Pour sugar in a bowl
Cut dough into about 1/4 inch slices.Press each slice in sugar and arrange on greased baking sheets.
Bake 12-15 minutes. Makes about 3 1/2 -4 dozen.
Enjoy!!!

My two favorites.. make these ALL the time
( I have another REAL good recipe that is soo good but, I didn't bring that one to Canada with me, and I probably won't get my stuff moved here till the end of the summer, August or sept probably, but if you remind me I will get that one for you to)

Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening ( part margarine or butter, softened)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Mix sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut into desired shapes . Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until very light brown, 6 to 8 minutes
Makes about 4 dozen 3 inch cookies
( my kids like them frosted with plain old betty crocker vanilla frosting, the can type)

NOW these are a variation of sugar cookies.. that kinda puffs up a bit.. and are VERY good.
Sugar cookies:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix powdered sugar, margarine, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Divide dough into halves. Roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Placed on lightly greased cookie sheet. bake until edges are light brown. 7 to 8 minutes. about 5 dozen 2 to 2 1/2 inch cookies

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom