This is actually a snickerdoodle recipe, but i dip the tops of the cookies in colored sugar instead of rolling in cinnamon and sugar. the are soft and chewy and absolutely delicious. I use a medium sized cookie scoop to shape and drop the cookies and they come out perfectly round and uniformed in size. I know this uses butter, but it's such a great recipe, I couldn't not share it with you.
p.s. They uncooked dough freezes extremely well. After the cookies are shaped and dipped in sugar, put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet until they are frozen.....then store in a zip top bag. Bake at the same temperature adding about 2 min to the baking time.
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on high speed. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 300 degrees while you let the dough rest for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. In a small bowl, combine the sugar with the cinnamon for the topping.
6. Take about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball. Roll this dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and press it onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
7. Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes and no more. The cookies may seem undercooked, but will continue to develop after they are removed from the oven. When the cookies have cooled they should be soft and chewy in the middle. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com
Makes 16 to 18 cookies.