ISO: TNT oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
anybody have a tried and true oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe... can be with or without raisins.. but I don't want a flat really crispy type cookie either..
any help out there?

Have you never read....

the bogus story about the Nieman Marcus recipe? Supposedly, a woman asked for the recipe at Neimans, while at lunch, and was told it yes, but it would be two fifty. She charged the meal and recipe, but when the bill came in, it was for two hundred and fifty dollars, not the two dollars and fifty cents she thought. So, she copied it and sent it out to everybody. I took that recipe and added a couple of ingredients and made the best @#%^ chocolate, chocolate chip cookies, ever.
Cream together: 2 c butter, 2 c sugar, 2 c brown sugar. Add: 4 eggs, 2 tsp. vanilla. Mix together: 4 c flour, 5 c oatmeal ( put small amounts into blender until it turns to powder.) 1 tsp. salt , 2 tsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. baking soda. Mix together all ingredients and add 24 oz. bag of chocolate chips, one 8 oz. Hershey bar grated, ( can be done in processor ) and 3 c chopped nuts. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets. Make golf-ball sized cookies, 2 inches apart, and bake at 375 degrees for 6 minutes. Makes 112 cookies.
Now, this is not the recipe that I use for my "super" cookies, I do add a couple of things. But these are excellent. And, you might want to shop for a "gormet " chocolate chip. Hey, did you ever try the cake recipe?
Phil

yes.... was amazing!!!! exactly what I wanted! thank you !

but.. now you got me curious what your " super" cookies are :chef:

I've used this recipe for years; it was in an old Louisiana 'church lady' cookbook I was given - makes a ton, but they do freeze well!

COWBOY COOKIES

makes 8-9 dozen.

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1tsp. soda
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups choc.chips*
½ cup chopped nuts

*To make half chocolate chip and half oatmeal raisin, use 1 cup chips for half the dough and to the other half, add 1 cup raisins and 2tsp. cinnamon.

Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugars, butter, eggs and vanilla til fluffy. Sift dry ingredients and stir in. Add oatmeal, chips, and/or raisins and cinnamon and stir to mix. Drop by teaspoons on ungreased baking sheet; bake 10-12 minutes.

Marmalady's recipe is almost the exact same one I use, but I make them much larger, as per the recipe below. I double the recipe and mix it all in my KitchenAid. These are big cookies - so good!

Next time I will add chocolate chips to the raisins and nuts. Hmmm, I may as well just chop up some Chunky candy bars (my favorites).

Lee

Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

Makes about 18 large cookies

If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown, but the rest of the cookie should be very light in color. Parchment paper makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it is not a necessity. If you don’t use parchment, cool the cookies on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cups raisins and ½ cup nuts (optional)

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together in medium bowl.
3. Either by hand or with electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.
4. Stir dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture. Stir in oats and optional raisins.
5. Working with generous 2 tablespoons of dough each time, roll dough into 2-inch balls. Place balls on parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between each ball.
6. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies, on parchment, to cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before peeling cookie from parchment.

I have two favorite ccc cookie recipes that use ground oats. This first one is made with some lard and the comments are not mine.

Here it is! The truly great chocolate chip cookie recipe. Rumored to me to originally have been the template for the cookies sold by one of those fancy New York department stores. I can't divulge my source (mainly because I don't remember it), but here it is, pared down to workable size for you to enjoy!

First some note on the ingredients. The oatmeal should be
run though a blender until it is very fine. The chocolate bar
that you need to grate is the kind you buy to eat on the way
home from the grocery store, use your favorite, but you will
need to buy a pretty big one. Chocolate also grates easier if
it is nice and cold.
For the recipe, start out by creaming the butter and lard
(you can vary the ratio of these a little) with the sugars.
Add in the eggs and vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and
oatmeal, then mix it into the batter. Thoroughly mix in the
grated chocolate bar, then add in the chocolate chips (and
nuts if you like.) Bake as usual, at about 375 degrees for
roughly 10 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.

3/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Lard
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cup Unbleached Flour
2 1/2 cups Oatmeal (thoroughly blended)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
12 oz Milk Chocolate Chips (one bag)
4-6oz Finely Grated Chocolate Bar
1 1/2 cup Chopped nuts (very optional)

This second recipe is from "Joy of Cooking"

Position rack in upper third of oven, preheat to 375*, grease sheets

Whisk together
1 2/3 all purpose flour (I use 1 7/8 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1 1/4 t. baking soda
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Beat on medium speed until lightened in color and creamy
1/2 pound, (2 sticks) butter

Add and beat

3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 T. milk
2 1/2 t. vanilla

Stir the flour mixture in unitl well blended .
Add
1 1/3 cup oat meal

Stir in
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Shape into generous 1 1/2 inch balls, flatten slightly
Bake 8 t0 12 minutes
Cookies will be soft in center when done.

Question about oatmeal dough cookies
Please help me: I love to make cookies, but most of the recipes are to make a big amount of cookies. Can I freeze the dough, and take only what I want to bake? or the rest of the dough will spoil? Even if the recipe is halved, still there area a lot.

I would try the Oatmeal Cookie recipe that comes with the Quaker Quick Oats. It's is delicious! A few Chocolate chips thrown in would be a plus!

Thanks Uncle Bob. My question is: Can I make the mix for the cookies, bake only 1 dozen, and put in the freezer the rest of the mix? I dont like to bake too many at the time, as they are a temptation that I can not resist........ just what I am going to serve to friends and family that come visiting....

Thanks,Alix. I will try and see how well they come out, but meanwhile, next week will have to do a really big batch and I am nervous, as I am not a very good baker. Or perhaps the altitude also has influence? Now I am living at 1.700 m over the sea level, before it was at 300 m.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom