ISO Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattycake

Assistant Cook
I am looking for the best chocolate chip cookie--just plain tradition chocolate chip--recipe. Please send them to me. I prefer recipes that use no or little crisco. If your recipe uses margarine--let me know the fat content..
I am on a quest for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie--a top quality for professional and catering use.
I know this site has alot of talent out there so I figured this would be the place to look.
Thanks

Hi Patty,

Hold on and you'll get some great recipes from
this group.:):):)

Sure wish we were in Greece too... it's been a long time since our last
visit. The plans are to go next summer but... we'll have to wait and see if
Paulie can get more than two weeks off work.

smiles, T

Here is mine...
Ingredients:
1 c softened butter, no substitutes
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 1/2 c quick oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 - 6oz Hershey Symphony bars (the big ones), chopped to your desired size
1 c nuts if desired

Directions:
Cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix all ingredients together and add Hershey Symphony bars, and nuts. Place golf ball sized cookies 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.

Angie,
Thanks for the recipe. I read another that added oats, I would guess that would hold onto moisture and really help it be chewy. I haven't lived in the USA for 10 years, and although I visit once a year, I am not sure what type of chocolate Hersey Symphony is. Please let me know--semi sweet, dark, milk??? I will have to find something here since we have no Herseys. A real hard thing for a Pennsylvanian to accept (born and raised in Pittsburgh--and not to far from Hersey PA.):-p

pattycake said:
Angie,
Thanks for the recipe. I read another that added oats, I would guess that would hold onto moisture and really help it be chewy. I haven't lived in the USA for 10 years, and although I visit once a year, I am not sure what type of chocolate Hersey Symphony is. Please let me know--semi sweet, dark, milk??? I will have to find something here since we have no Herseys. A real hard thing for a Pennsylvanian to accept (born and raised in Pittsburgh--and not to far from Hersey PA.):-p

Hershey's Symphony bars are a very smooth milk chocolate! Very buttery chocolate as well!:)

Here is a recipe I have used many times successfully, they are delicious and chewy! I got them from Alton Brown from Good Eats on food network. I found out by accident that instead of using another yolk, a white works as well.
Also, I mix everything by hand instead of a mixer and it works great. They also stay fresh and chewy for a few days. Hope you enjoy!

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

this might sound like i'm woosing out here, but... i think that hersey's toll house cookies are hard to top for a traditional chocolate chip cookie. possibly, substituting all dark brown sugar might be better.

i never use vegetable shortening except for greasing pans. butter is always better.

Back
Top Bottom