"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
Head Chef

Is it sweet or hot paprika, snack? If the latter, it might work. I think the heat is key, here.

Lee

Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
Do you think I could sub paprika for the cayenne? I just realized I am all out of cayenne....
If you have red pepper flakes, grind them well in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle and you'll have the same thing. I have also seen this very same recipe made with chipolte or habanero powder. Comments posted state that these pepper powders really do not add "heat" as much as they add "kick" to the taste, and heightens the peanut butter taste.

And re the potato chip cookies -- those are ALWAYS a hit when I make them, the first to completely disappear. When I bring them to a party (of any type), everybody asks for the recipe, so now, when I bring these, I also bring copies of the recipe! They ARE addicting, and a good way to use up the broken chips at the bottom of the bag that nobody seems to want to eat! (why is that?!?)

Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Well I sucked it up and sent the hubby to get some cayenne (we needed a ton of other groceries) and the cookies were unreal! The flavor of the peanut butter isn't compromised at all then somewhere way in the back you start to get this wonderful heat...really an amazing recipe.

I dipped half of the cookies (after they cooled) in chocolate and sprinkled the chocolate with a mixture of granulated sugar and cayenne. It made them look so pretty and "gourmet" and added a little sumtin sumtin....
Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
Head Chef

Geez, snackpack, now I'll have to actually make them! Wish I was one of your gift recipients!

AND, PieSusan and QueenQ. - I have also copied and saved the potato chip cookie recipe, on your recommendations. I have several recipes of things I make that I have to bring copies with me for those who ask, so I know of what you speak (man, is THAT sentence a grammatical nightmare!).

Hope Verablue sees the potato chip recipe - she had a vent recently about "potato chip dust" being left in the bag.

Lee
Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Q- you MUST make them. They are the best cookie I have had in a very long time. The dh ate a few before leaving to work this afternoon and called me an hour later from the road claiming that he didnt want to eat or drink anything for the rest of the day because he wanted to savor the taste in his mouth. Thanks so much to everyone for the great ideas. Here's whats made it into the baskets:

Peanut butter cayenne cookies
pistachio cherry cookies
orange and rosemary cookies
homemade brittle
white chocolate popcorn snack mix
chocolate and peppermint mini cupcakes

whfew...lots of baking going on today.

How long will my cookies be good for? I cant deliver any until the 24th. Will these cookies keep till then? I made all the dough in advance and it's chillin in the freezer, but I made a dozen of each today as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Head Chef

Bacon Baklava Recipe - Brian Logsdon | Food & Wine

Tags
None