ISO unique cookie recipes for xmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snack_pack85

Washing Up
I am putting together some baskets of food for christmas and I have some friends who really appreciate unique flavor combos (dark chocolate and wasabi for example) I was wondering if anyone had any "wacky" or unique cookie recipes I could use I would greatly appreciate it!:)

REC: Potato Chip Cookies

I have no idea where my mom got this recipe. One of her friends, I suppose. I ate one thinking it would be gross but it wasn't gross at all. However, I was a small child at the time.

Potato Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup crushed potato chips
1/2 cup crushed nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Cream the shortening, sugar and egg yolk well. Add the flour and mix well. Add the crushed potato chips, nuts and vanilla. Make small balls, the dough is sticky, and flatten. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Yields 30 or more cookies. Let cool before taking off pan.

This one sounds interesting: Cayenne Peanut Butter Cookies Cayenne Peanut Butter Cookies | Hot Sauce Blog

Also, I copied and saved this recipe (below) from a DC poster, because I liked the sound of it.

Lee

Three C’s Cookies
(Cardamom, Coconut and Cashews)

Makes: About 5½ dozen.

Ingredients:
About 1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sweetened flaked dried coconut
1 cup salted roasted cashews, very coarsely chopped

1. In a bowl with a mixer, beat 1 cup butter, ¾ cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.

2. In another bowl, mix flour, 1 teaspoon cardamom, and baking soda.

3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture; stir to mix, then beat until blended.

4. Stir in coconut and cashews. Cover and chill dough until firm enough to shape, at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.

5. In a small dish, mix ¼ cup of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cardamom.

6. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, rolling each in cardamom sugar to coat. Set balls at least 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.

7. Bake in a 350˚ oven until golden brown, 9 to 12 minutes (7 to 10 minutes in a convection oven).

8. Cool on pans about 1 minute, then with a wide spatula, transfer to racks. Serve or store airtight up to 3 days, freeze to store longer.

Hope you like it,

-Josh

Reindeer Poop!

Poem to include with your reindeer poop!

I woke up with such a scare when I heard Santa call...
"Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!"
I ran to the lawn, and in the snowy white drifts,
those nasty reindeer had left "little gifts".
I got an old shovel and started to scoop
Neat little piles of "reindeer poop."
but to throw them away seemed such a waste,
So I saved them, thinking you might like a taste!
As I finished my task, which took quite a while,
Old Santa passed by and he sheepishly smiled.
And I heard him exclaim as he rose to the sky~~~
"Well, they're not potty trained, but at least they can fly!"

Reindeer Poop Recipe

20 min | 15 min prep
36 PooPs. </SPAN>

Dry Ingredients
Liquid Ingredients

1. Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, stir together well.
  2. In a large pot, bring the liquid to a boil.
  3. Then take off the stove and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
  4. Pour the liquid ingredients INTO the DRY ingredients and mix well until everything is wet.
  5. Use a teaspoon to spoon the cookies onto waxed paper.
  6. Let them cool and they will harden somewhat--that's it!

I have no idea where my mom got this recipe. One of her friends, I suppose. I ate one thinking it would be gross but it wasn't gross at all. However, I was a small child at the time.

Potato Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup crushed potato chips
1/2 cup crushed nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Cream the shortening, sugar and egg yolk well. Add the flour and mix well. Add the crushed potato chips, nuts and vanilla. Make small balls, the dough is sticky, and flatten. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Yields 30 or more cookies. Let cool before taking off pan.

Well this certainly is a unique recipe!;) I think I'll make a batch to taste and let you know if they make it into the gift baskets.

This one sounds interesting: Cayenne Peanut Butter Cookies Cayenne Peanut Butter Cookies | Hot Sauce Blog

Also, I copied and saved this recipe (below) from a DC poster, because I liked the sound of it.

Lee

Three C’s Cookies
(Cardamom, Coconut and Cashews)

Makes: About 5½ dozen.

Ingredients:
About 1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sweetened flaked dried coconut
1 cup salted roasted cashews, very coarsely chopped

1. In a bowl with a mixer, beat 1 cup butter, ¾ cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.

2. In another bowl, mix flour, 1 teaspoon cardamom, and baking soda.

3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture; stir to mix, then beat until blended.

4. Stir in coconut and cashews. Cover and chill dough until firm enough to shape, at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.

5. In a small dish, mix ¼ cup of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cardamom.

6. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, rolling each in cardamom sugar to coat. Set balls at least 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.

7. Bake in a 350˚ oven until golden brown, 9 to 12 minutes (7 to 10 minutes in a convection oven).

8. Cool on pans about 1 minute, then with a wide spatula, transfer to racks. Serve or store airtight up to 3 days, freeze to store longer.

Hope you like it,

-Josh

Do you think I could sub paprika for the cayenne? I just realized I am all out of cayenne....

Is it sweet or hot paprika, snack? If the latter, it might work. I think the heat is key, here.

Lee

Do you think I could sub paprika for the cayenne? I just realized I am all out of cayenne....

If you have red pepper flakes, grind them well in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle and you'll have the same thing. I have also seen this very same recipe made with chipolte or habanero powder. Comments posted state that these pepper powders really do not add "heat" as much as they add "kick" to the taste, and heightens the peanut butter taste.

And re the potato chip cookies -- those are ALWAYS a hit when I make them, the first to completely disappear. When I bring them to a party (of any type), everybody asks for the recipe, so now, when I bring these, I also bring copies of the recipe! They ARE addicting, and a good way to use up the broken chips at the bottom of the bag that nobody seems to want to eat! (why is that?!?)

Well I sucked it up and sent the hubby to get some cayenne (we needed a ton of other groceries) and the cookies were unreal! The flavor of the peanut butter isn't compromised at all then somewhere way in the back you start to get this wonderful heat...really an amazing recipe.

I dipped half of the cookies (after they cooled) in chocolate and sprinkled the chocolate with a mixture of granulated sugar and cayenne. It made them look so pretty and "gourmet" and added a little sumtin sumtin....

Geez, snackpack, now I'll have to actually make them! Wish I was one of your gift recipients!

AND, PieSusan and QueenQ. - I have also copied and saved the potato chip cookie recipe, on your recommendations. I have several recipes of things I make that I have to bring copies with me for those who ask, so I know of what you speak (man, is THAT sentence a grammatical nightmare!).

Hope Verablue sees the potato chip recipe - she had a vent recently about "potato chip dust" being left in the bag.

Lee

Q- you MUST make them. They are the best cookie I have had in a very long time. The dh ate a few before leaving to work this afternoon and called me an hour later from the road claiming that he didnt want to eat or drink anything for the rest of the day because he wanted to savor the taste in his mouth. Thanks so much to everyone for the great ideas. Here's whats made it into the baskets:

Peanut butter cayenne cookies
pistachio cherry cookies
orange and rosemary cookies
homemade brittle
white chocolate popcorn snack mix
chocolate and peppermint mini cupcakes

whfew...lots of baking going on today.

How long will my cookies be good for? I cant deliver any until the 24th. Will these cookies keep till then? I made all the dough in advance and it's chillin in the freezer, but I made a dozen of each today as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom