Keeping Gingerbread Dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelTV

Assistant Cook
I Have been working with different doughs and I think I have the perfect recipe for a very sturdy gingerbread house that will last. I am baking pieces of the house in advance and i am thinking of storing them flat between sheets of cardboard. My thinking is the fermaldehyde would keep the pieces dry and the cardboard its self would keep large pieces safe from cracking. any comments ? This house is not to eat by the way,

If you would like some entertainment you could follow my progress from how I choose the perfect house to model, to getting the house to the National Gingerbread Competition in Asheville NC. @ my newest blog

Don't Come Hungry

Thanks MichaelTV

Michael welcome to DC...

I don't know anything about gingerbread, or the little houses they make, but I would think cardboard, or perhaps bubble wrap each piece and then lay between cardboard... I think I would also store then in a rubbermaid storage bin... It seem you've got your eye on the prize, so keep the pieces safely tucked away and much luck with your house... I will look forward to reading about your progress...

Mimi :):):)

Thanks A lot for the quick response, its nice to know someone actually read the thread and i hope you do follow along with my blog, i am thinking it will be a lot of fun.
with the bubble wrap tho i am afraid it could hold moisture and make my pieces soft after a while kinda like cling wrap. thats why i was thinking of only using cardboard. This summer has been so humid that i am afraid of any moisture what so ever !!!!
thanks
Michael

That sounds like a fun thing to do. People get so creative with those houses. Good luck to ya! :)

Would flavor sealing the individual pieces. Labeled. Then stored in a lunch box ice chest work for you? Some of those have insulated inserts.You could stack them inside the coolers and freeze them. If sealed correctly nothing gets inside the pouches. Set cardboard in. Butcher shops have boxes that might help to protect the pieces.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom