Lebkuchen anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuaNY

Senior Cook
Good (insert time of day where you are) folks,
I just wanted to share. I am of German heritage so I enjoy eating and making things that my ancestors may have eaten. Most of the German recipes I have come from my 2 grandmothers. However, any time I see a German recipe in a magazine I test it out.

I was perusing a copy of cooks Illustrated and there it was. The traditional German Christmas treat. THE LEBKUCHEN. There version is made with almonds and hazelnuts and the main spices are cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon. Luckily there is an Indian Grocery store near me so the cardamom I got was pretty cheap.

Now I am more of a cook by nature but I do enjoy making the occasional baked good. Plus, who doesn't like Christmas/holiday cookies. So I made an inaugural batch. They are absolutely delicious. Next weekend I will be making many more and giving them to everyone I know.

Does anyone else have a cookie from there culture they enjoy making?

Joshua

This is the one that I make. I am not sure how authentic it is.

Lebkuchen
[FONT=&quot]4 eggs well beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups light brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups sifted AP flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1t cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4t allspice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup candied fruit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup coarsely chopped walnut or pecans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beat sugar and eggs until smooth. Sift flour and spices. Add fruit and nuts to flour mixture and toss. Combine the two mixtures. Spread in a greased brownie pan 8 x 11. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20- 25 minutes. Test with a straw.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These can be iced with a mixture of 2 cups 10x sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of boiling water or milk. Flavor with rum, vanilla or lemon juice. This should be thin and runny. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notes:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I just spank them with some 10x sugar and forget the glaze.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sometimes I swap out the candied fruit and use raisins plumped in a little boiling water and a tablespoon of dark rum, drain well before adding.[/FONT]

Common Lebkuchen spices:
5 1/2 tablespoons ground Cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons ground Cloves
1 teaspoon ground Allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1 teaspoon ground Cardamom
1 teaspoon ground Ginger

I can't find the link to the Lebkucken recipe in the virtual cookie exchange thread--maybe the mods deleted it because I could not attribute copyright. I finally got around to making the dough. I cut it in 1/2 and used the stand mixer. The dough feels perfect. It is chilling now. Anyway--fingers crossed that these cookies will work out. The dough smells and tastes GREAT! I added grated fresh ginger, freshly ground pepper, orange zest, orange juice (freshly squeezed, about 1/4 c) and a generous splash of Sambuca. Ummm-ummm.Oh--forgot the cardamon! Oh well, guess the Sambuca replaced that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom