"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm thinking of substituting lime!
ME TOO! I just found a lime rolling around in my produce drawer and thought of these!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

And I'm thinking some Scandinavian Pearl Sugar on top! Or maybe some pretzel salt...can't decide!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I was just chatting with my younger daughter. Told her about these lemon shortbread cookies and a tequila lime marinade I used for pork kebobs. She thought they both sounded good but suggested tequila lime shortbread cookies as a switch. I think I'll give that a try.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL! Great minds must think alike--I was wondering if I could make these into "margarita" lime shortbreads...can't do it today, I have a deadline, but maybe by Sunday!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Lime is fine in the summer time. (Crap it is Fall already)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Here you go Andy!

1 cup butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon

Either work the dough with your hands or pulse in the food processor until ingredients are combined.

You can use a cookie press with this dough, or you can make 1/2 inch diameter logs (about 2 inch) and bake those. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 325. They should be JUST a bit golden around the edges, be careful not to overbrown them.

Some folks prefer to dip the ends in melted chocolate, but I like to make a lemon glaze or leave them au naturel.

Lemon Glaze

2 tbsps lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar

Stir sugar into juice until it is a thick, goopy glaze. Add more lemon juice if necessary to thin. Brush onto warm cookies with a pastry brush.
Thanks for the inspiration. I used the FP to make the dough.

I don't even want to bake these--I just want to eat the dough.

I made some changes to suit my taste:

! zested two limes. I added some freshly ground pepper and freshly ground sea salt to the zest.

Meanwhile, I creamed the butter with 3/4 c white sugar (I couldn't find where the DH put the other sugars while I was in MN)

I had the juice of 2-1/2 limes
1-1/2 tsp gold Tequilla
3 T triple sec extract (finally, I get to use some of that extract)
2-1/2 c unbleached flour

The dough is chilling in the fridge. My plan is to brush it with FRESH egg white (to which I'll add about 1-2 tsp water) and sprinkle with some coarse salt (I plan on using pretzel salt), I'll follow the instructions re: baking and temp. But, the dough is "soft" and I am tempted to eat just the dough! I'm calling these Margarita shortbread cookies. Do I get to call these cookies something other than Lemon Shortbread (inspiration from that recipe) or do I have to call them Lemon Shortbread Cookies--Not?

I best go wash my hands.

Margarita Shortbread Cookies
Old 09-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

These cookies sounds so delicious! Will for sure be trying these first chance I get!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
Everymom

I was just responding to another thread and thought of these. If I have some time after my haircut today I'm going to make a batch of these. I might do limes though as I have about 4 that need to get used up.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

These lemon cookies are the ones my grandson and I made in this photo:

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Following in Grandpa's steps. He is adorable!

Tags
butter, cookies, lemon, recipe, shortbread

Lemon Shortbread Cookies [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Here you go Andy! 1 cup butter 1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar 2 cups flour 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice zest of one lemon Either work the dough with your hands or pulse in the food processor until ingredients are combined. You can use a cookie press with this dough, or you can make 1/2 inch diameter logs (about 2 inch) and bake those. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 325. They should be JUST a bit golden around the edges, be careful not to overbrown them. Some folks prefer to dip the ends in melted chocolate, but I like to make a lemon glaze or leave them au naturel. Lemon Glaze 2 tbsps lemon juice 1 cup icing sugar Stir sugar into juice until it is a thick, goopy glaze. Add more lemon juice if necessary to thin. Brush onto warm cookies with a pastry brush. [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews