Lemon Thins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
This recipe is from the Senior Magazine we receive each month in Boston. It was provided my Melissa Carlson, MS, RD
I have changed the way the directions were written and even the way she wrote the ingredients. So I believe I have not violated any copyright laws.

Lemon Thins

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray or use parchment paper

Ingredients:
1¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
3/4 cup of sugar, divided
2 tbs. butter, softened
2 tbs. canola oil
1 large egg white
1½ tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbs. lemon juice

Directions
1. Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Beat in ½ cup of sugar, butter and oil in another mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg white, lemon zest and vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold in gently with a rubber spatula just until combined.

2. Drop the dough by a teaspoonful, two inches apart and place onto the prepared baking sheets. Place the remaining ¼ cup sugar in a saucer. Coat the bottom of a wide-bottomed glass with cooking spray. Dip the glass into the sugar. Flatten the cookie dough with the glass into 2½ inch circles, dipping the glass into the sugar each time.

3. Bake the cookies until they are just starting to brown around the edges. Approximately eight to ten minutes. Transfer to a flat surface (not a rack) to crisp.

Makes 2½ dozen cookies

Calories 60 per cookie

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe, Addie. Sounds good - I love lemon cookies. :yum:

From what I understand, it's ok to copy recipes and share them online, as long as credit is given to the author or source - which you did. In that case, I don't think it's necessary to change up the wording. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe, Addie. Sounds good - I love lemon cookies. :yum:

From what I understand, it's ok to copy recipes and share them online, as long as credit is given to the author or source - which you did. In that case, I don't think it's necessary to change up the wording. :)

Actually, that's not true. You might want to check the site guidelines on that.

No issue. You can list the ingredients, then mess with the method and put it in your own words, like Addie did.

Now, I am waiting for someone to bake these for me!

No issue. You can list the ingredients, then mess with the method and put it in your own words, like Addie did.

Now, I am waiting for someone to bake these for me!

Thanks Dawg. I did change a lot of the wording and added some of my own words. Such as "Approximately eight to ten minutes. She had a comma after the previous sentence and then wrote 8 - 10 minutes... She also used the figures in the recipe directions. I learned in Business Class that 1-10 are always spelled out and all other numbers above that are written as figures unless it is the first word of a sentence. Since there were no numbers above ten, I spelled out all the figures when in a sentence. She also had the 'preheat oven.... listed as #1. I put that at the very beginning of the recipe. I do that with all my recipes. It should be the first thing you do. Like the saying goes, 'your oven should wait for you, not you wait for your oven.'

And Dawg, I will bake them for you. I love lemon anything. :angel:

Watch out, Addie. We have relatives out your way, and I may take you up on this!

Watch out, Addie. We have relatives out your way, and I may take you up on this!

Maybe so. But once they leave here with the cookies in tow, who is to say they will make it all the way to your home. And I wouldn't mind at all. I have all the ingredients and I would rather bake than cook. :angel:

I am up to my ears with appointments and other events this week. But I will probably make them next week. One thing I will change for my own preference is that I will use lemon extract instead of vanilla. It just enhances the lemon flavor. I have done that in several other lemon recipes. :angel:

They sound lovely, a big fan of lemon flavours and not too many calories, will definitely try these. Thanks

...I will use lemon extract instead of vanilla. It just enhances the lemon flavor. I have done that in several other lemon recipes. :angel:

Vanilla really cuts the tartness of the lemon flavor. I'd go with lemon extract too. I really like the tartness.

Vanilla really cuts the tartness of the lemon flavor. I'd go with lemon extract too. I really like the tartness.

I always use the lemon extract for a lemon recipe. It really brings out the lemon flavor. I made a scratch lemon pudding once using the lemon extract, and it was a huge hit. I should have doubled the recipe because my kids were fighting over it. Who was going to scrape out the pan and get the last drop. I got it and that ended the fighting. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom