"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Looking for Bird Seed Cookie Recipe

OK, I know it's not made with bird seeds, but back in the early 60s, the cafeteria of the school I went to made these cookies that looked like they were made out of bird seeds. They were buttery, rich, and delicious. They did not taste like nuts, nor did they taste like oatmeal. No, they were not sesame seeds either. They were a combination of being tender, moist, chewy and crisp.

They were baked in a sheet and cut into squares.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? I have never seen this kind of cookie anywhere since then. I tried to find the recipe, but a trip back to the school left me empty handed. The new cafeteria manager didn't know what I was talking about. All the old ladies were gone. Nobody was left at the school who was there in the 60s.

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon
From your description, this is not what you are looking for, but this is what I found:

Bird Seed Cookies

Beat the following ingredients together:
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Mix the following ingredients and then add to the above
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda

Beat this mixture together until well blended and then add the following:
1 cup coconut
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup rice krispy-type cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup of sunflower seeds
½ cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup flax seeds

Roll balls of dough and flatten them on a lightly greased pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 and then enjoy them. They're great!!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
Sous Chef
It's not what I was looking for, but something caught my eyes. Flax Seeds. I have never actually seen flax seeds. Is that something sold at the health food store?

I'm wondering if the cookies were made out of flax seeds. I'll have to find some and if it looks familiar.

I'll have to try your recipe, though. Looks interesting enough to give it a try.

Thank you!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:53 AM   #4
Executive Chef
You can find flax seeds at the health food stores. They're very - um - regulatory!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:45 PM   #5
Sous Chef
Haven't had a chance to visit the health food store yet, but I found some info on flax seed online and I have to say that from what I've seen, it looks like what I"m looking for!

My thanks to Barbara L for hopefully putting me on the right track in my quest to recreate this old cookie.

I'm having a vague recollection of being told it was oatmeal cookies by the teachers. I never believed them because of all the crunchy little seeds, but hey. I was 5 years old. By the time I moved on to high school, they had stopped baking the cookie. Never gave the cookie a thought until years later when I suddenly had a craving for it.

I'll have to acquire a supply of the flax seeds and do some experimenting. Looks like a good low carb source of good fats and lots of fiber.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
Sous Chef
I thought I'd let you know that I bought flax seeds and these seeds look exactly like the seeds in the cookies. All I have to do now is try and duplicate the recipe.

Who would have thought that a school cafeteria in the early 60s would serve such a healthy cookie? The more I read about flax seed, the more impressed I am.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Let us know how they turn out!

:) Barbara

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote