Madeleines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Since this is my daughters name, she requests these regularly.

2 eggs
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp citrus zest
1/3 cup melted (but cool) butter

Butter and flour your madeleine moulds. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla on HIGH until light coloured and tripled in size. Usually somewhere around 10-15 minutes. Stir in the zest, and fold in the flour. Fold in the melted butter. Spoon batter into moulds almost to the top. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes at 325. Cool on racks and sprinkle with sugar (coloured is nice) while still warm.

Yum!! I love madeleines!! We still don't possess a proper madeleine form, so we use our ciambelle form (sort of muffin pan, but each centre is elevated so it will make ring formed little cakes), it also works fine just as well!

Mmmm... Madeleines! They are my favourite and I make them fairly often. I usually brush them with strawberry or raspberry jam and roll them in coconut. By the way that is a nice name for your daughter Alix.:)

Sounds good Alix. I had to google the madeleine mold, which to me looks like a muffin pan, yet these are cookies right? Which citrus zest do you add to yours?

amber said:
Sounds good Alix. I had to google the madeleine mold, which to me looks like a muffin pan, yet these are cookies right? Which citrus zest do you add to yours?

Actually, though Alix posted this on the "cookie" section (and if her version is the same type of madeleines I know), madeleines are more like cakes, rather than cookies. Their textures are close to muffins.

I agree with urmaniac. Madeleines are small cakes. The moulds are the same as the ones used for creme caramel which are slimmer and taller than muffin cups.

The most popular shape for madeleines that are seen in Italy (also have seen these in Spain as well) is a seashell shape, like this one

Yep, thats the madeleine pan alright. And yes, they are more like individual cakes, but my Madeleine calls them cookies, so cookies they are! LOL.

And I switch off the zest. I most often use orange zest because I like the richer colour and flavour, but I've used both lemon and even lime once (don't recommend that one!)

Jee urmaniac, I would like to get hold of the sea shell-shaped pan for my plain Madeleines when I next visit Italy. Just hope DH won't complain too much as he thinks I have far too many cake pans!!

Alix, your daughter might be interested in the Madeleine's history which started in France in the 18th century. There are several stories about its origins. The name derives from Mary Magdalene, who legend has it moved to France after Jesus' crucifixion. The French has historically had a particular devotion to Mary Magdalene. There's a famous church of the Madeleine in Paris that looks like the Parthenon. Marcel Proust made the little Madeleine 'cookies' famous in the early 1900s in one of his works.

Last edited:
boufa, you could try online for a madeleine pan. LOL, imagine hubby's face when THAT was delivered. Mine would likely just roll his eyes. My addiction to all things kitchen is well known.

licia said:
The shell shaped pans are available at most any kitchen store.
I was about to say that, Licia, and mini shell pans are available, as well. I got the ones that are non-stick, because madeleines stick so badly, and I still brush them with butter before filling!

I love Madeleines, and make them in many flavors, including Hazelnut, chocolate and Capuccino...:)

OMG June! You got me with cappucino and hazelnut. What do you add and at what point please?

licia said:
The shell shaped pans are available at most any kitchen store.

licia, where I am it's rather difficult to get fancy shaped non-stick baking pans unless the German chain supermarket decides to bring them on a one-off deal. I will also be on the lookout for such stuff the next time I go shopping overseas. Thanks for the tip.

ChefJune said:
I was about to say that, Licia, and mini shell pans are available, as well. I got the ones that are non-stick, because madeleines stick so badly, and I still brush them with butter before filling!

I love Madeleines, and make them in many flavors, including Hazelnut, chocolate and Capuccino...:)
ChefJune, mine do not stick as they are very buttery. More the English type of Madeleines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom