"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Martha Stewart Crinkle Spice Cookie recipe

I am sorry for coming in here to ask this but have spent too much time online trying to find an answer/recipe. Appreciate any info.

Ok, so about 8ish years ago I was watching MS do a Christmas TV special on her 10 favorite cookies.
I watched the show, taped the show so I could go back and check for ingredients or whatever at a later date when I more had time to concentrate. I even made one of her recipes right along with her on the show, pausing as I needed to do whatever, play catch up. The cookies I made with her was her spice crinkle cookies or some such name like that. They originally turned out awful, flat as a pancake, one big run together mess. I tossed it and got advice to get new baking powder/baking soda as they have a shelf life and maybe mine was up. I bought new and again followed Martha step by step. There were large amounts of certain spices I think (and I could be wrong here) the addition of black pepper and a huge amount of cloves with the other usual suspects being ginger (2
/3 kinds of ginger, ground/raw/grated) and cinnamon. The results making with new baking powder and baking soda were INCREDIBLE and I want to make again.
Here's the thing. I have searched on YouTube and everything else I can think of and can not find the recipe using every combination of words to help locate this recipe. It was a Christmas/Holiday favorite cookie swap 10 cookie show that I think might have even been a 2 hr special. If you are able or know what I'm trying to find please let me know. I am really wanting to make this wonderful very different cookie but without the recipe, I'm stumped. Thank you.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
LEFSE, I did a quick search and came up with these. The ingredients list seems to have what you've described.

Hope this helps

Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
LEFSE, I did a quick search and came up with these. The ingredients list seems to have what you've described.

Hope this helps
I thought that also but the OP stated 3 kinds of ginger was used in the recipe. No ginger in pfeffernussen. There is a chocolate molasses cookie recipe with ginger in it but no pepper in that recipe.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

There a re a pile of crinkle cookie recipes out there most with chocolate but there is also a molasses version that is heavily spiced.

Does this look like the ones you remember? Cookie Week: Spicy Ginger Chews | Crumb: A Food Blog or this: Spicy Molasses Cookies Recipe
Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There a re a pile of crinkle cookie recipes out there most with chocolate but there is also a molasses version that is heavily spiced.

Does this look like the ones you remember? Cookie Week: Spicy Ginger Chews | Crumb: A Food Blog or this: Spicy Molasses Cookies Recipe
They both sound wonderful. I may try one or both if time and my hands allow.
I wonder why no one can find the MS recipe.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
They both sound wonderful. I may try one or both if time and my hands allow.
I wonder why no one can find the MS recipe.
Probably because it became a very popular recipe and MS decided to remove it from her site and put it in one of her cookbooks. She has done that in the past. If she ever decides to make that cookie on air, she HAS to leave it up on her site per her contract with any television station.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Probably because it became a very popular recipe and MS decided to remove it from her site and put it in one of her cookbooks. She has done that in the past. If she ever decides to make that cookie on air, she HAS to leave it up on her site per her contract with any television station.
OP Stated she watched MS on a tv special making the cookie so it's weird that it can't be found. Twilight Zone?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

If all else fails, try these? Three kinds of ginger, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg...and epicurious is a good place for recipes too.
Chewy Ginger Cookies recipe | Epicurious.com
I might have to make these, they sound delicious.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

Hope this helps
thanks for trying Katie.
unfortunately, not it.
*heavy* on spices cloves/pepper/ginger, not dark in color, no powdered sugar or coating. I remember it was a Christmas special with 10 cookies featured. dang, oh well, guess it's lost for good.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I thought that also but the OP stated 3 kinds of ginger was used in the recipe. No ginger in pfeffernussen. There is a chocolate molasses cookie recipe with ginger in it but no pepper in that recipe.
HI MSM
thanks for helping. the recipe I seek hasn't got any chocolate in it, it is heavily spiced meaning larger than seemingly normal amounts like a tablespoon of cloves, what? very spicy cookie, gosh wish I remembered more.

Tags
2 or 3 kinds of ginger, cook, cookie, recipe, stew

Martha Stewart Crinkle Spice Cookie recipe I am sorry for coming in here to ask this but have spent too much time online trying to find an answer/recipe. Appreciate any info. Ok, so about 8ish years ago I was watching MS do a Christmas TV special on her 10 favorite cookies. I watched the show, taped the show so I could go back and check for ingredients or whatever at a later date when I more had time to concentrate. I even made one of her recipes right along with her on the show, pausing as I needed to do whatever, play catch up. The cookies I made with her was her spice crinkle cookies or some such name like that. They originally turned out awful, flat as a pancake, one big run together mess. I tossed it and got advice to get new baking powder/baking soda as they have a shelf life and maybe mine was up. I bought new and again followed Martha step by step. There were large amounts of certain spices I think (and I could be wrong here) the addition of black pepper and a huge amount of cloves with the other usual suspects being ginger (2 /3 kinds of ginger, ground/raw/grated) and cinnamon. The results making with new baking powder and baking soda were INCREDIBLE and I want to make again. Here's the thing. I have searched on YouTube and everything else I can think of and can not find the recipe using every combination of words to help locate this recipe. It was a Christmas/Holiday favorite cookie swap 10 cookie show that I think might have even been a 2 hr special. If you are able or know what I'm trying to find please let me know. I am really wanting to make this wonderful very different cookie but without the recipe, I'm stumped. Thank you. 3 stars 1 reviews