My BlueCheese Carmelized Muffins have no flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Help! I made a recipe I got from this site for the above this morning. The muffins have almost no flavor. I followed the recipe exactly, as I usually do when making something for the first time. I tried to rescue them by sprinkling with Parmesan cheese and put them back into the oven for a few minutes. The cheese didn't melt and I still don't have a good flavor.

Any ideas would be apreciated. Thanks.

This is why I dont bake. How about making a small mixture of milk and salt. Then brush or pour on the muffins. If you have half and half or cream I think it would work better. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Here is the recipe

Blue cheese and Carmelized Onion Muffins

1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sweet onions chopped (I used a red onion)
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
1 cup self rising flour
1/3 cup pecans toasted and chopped
1 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. In a skillet carmelize onions using a little of the oil just until they are soft and golden.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the egg,oil and milk. Add flour, oats and sugar. Stir until just combined , do not overmix
3. Fold in the onions, blue cheese, and pecans. Stir to just combine.
4. Spoon mixture into buttered muffin tins, and bake for 15 to 20 mins. or until golden. Remove from tins and cool on a rack.

Note: I made these in mini muffin tins and baked for about 10 mins. That part is okay, it's just that I thought they would have more flavor. My husband and his golfing buddy tried them, and said they tasted good, but I don't know.

I didn't mean to imply that the recipe was on this forum; I can't remember where I saw it.

What kind of bleu cheese did you use? If it was the already 'crumbled' stuff they have at the store, it really doesn't have much flavor.

Also to remember - most bleu cheese gets very subtle when it's cooked, so if you were expecting a big 'punch' of that flavor, that may have been what happened.

I think what Marmalady is saying makes a lot of sence...there are soooo many types of blue cheese and ea one varies in taste and texture.
I like Spanish Cabrales..its somewhat crumbly and fairly strong..I use it in salads all the time.

Hmm. I do believe that is a recipe I posted. I have always had great luck with the muffins. I do use a sweet-type onion as I think they have much more flavor and not just a sharp bite. I also make sure to toast the pecans well so they have alot of flavor.

I agree with some earlier posts about the blue cheese - get a blue with alot of punch. Those that are already pre-crumbled, etc. tend to be somewhat weak in taste. Nice blues from a good deli are pretty inexpensive, and you can use them for alot of things, like salads, dressings, etc.

Thank you, ladies.

I did use the already crumbled stuff because that's all I could find in the store I was in. (Not my regular supermarket).

I'm going to make some more this weekend and will use Maytag blue cheese, and also ,hopefully ,I can find sweet onions. If not, will leeks be better than the red I used?

I think leeks are milder than onions - you should be able to find some sweet onions in Florida - Vidalias aren't in season now, but other 'sweet' onions like WallaWalla, and Texas Sweets are. Maytag Blue is a great cheese, and so is 'Clemson' Blue, if you can find it down there!

I'd also take the onions a little further than 'soft and golden'; let 'em get nice and brown on the edges - more flavor!

The recipe doesn't have any salt and I don't think enough salt will be leached out from the cheese to make a difference. So, I would add 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt to the batter.

This bit of salt will enhance the flavors that are already there, without making it taste salty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom