"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

My cookies taste funny. Can anything be done?

Hi,

I made snickerdoodles today, one hundred of them. When I tasted them, something was just not right...funny, the dough had tasted fine. Then it hit me: I had needed 24 T of butter for the recipe, but ran short. I had put in veggie oil for the last six T to take up the extra. My cookies now have a weird after taste. They have cinnamon sugar coating on the outside, but the inside just isn't right. These cookies are for some events coming up.

Can anything be done? What if I soaked them in vanilla or something? Don't laugh -- I'm a new cook Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Shoot, I'd say dip them in chocolate. Anything is better with chocolate. lol.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Just dip them in chocolate? Do you think that would take out the strange oily aftertaste? (I'm hopeful )
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I'd say just try it with one as a taster, it might be enough to mask the oil taste.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Shoot, I'd say dip them in chocolate. Anything is better with chocolate. lol.
CORAZON is absolutely right. When I opened my ice cream parlor in the 70's, I asked the supplier why there were so many chocolate ice cream combinations. He said, "because when a mistake is made, chocolate covers a multitude of sins." I never forgot that. I've since discovered you can mask anything with the flavor of chocolate. Dip half of the cookie in chocolate and no one will ever know.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I had a friend taste one tonight, and she didn't think they tasted like oil...she said it was something else. That's when I remembered that I was watching toddlers while making the cookies, and I got lost on how much baking soda I had added. So, she thinks that is where the odd taste is coming from.

But back to the chocolate...I can try it...if I can get chocolate, I will try it. (I live in Japan). Could I make an impromptu dip out of vanilla, cocoa powder, and sugar? Let me know...I do appreciate the help!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I know this is screaming "rookie," but any tips on making a chocolate dip? Thanks. Don't want to mess that part up too...
Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Last night, I found a couple of great chocolate dips on the Internet, made them, and dipped my cookies. This morning, they are really crumbly in structure, and sticking together, and falling apart! I did salvage some for this weekend. The rest, I am going to try to make into a chocolate bread pudding. Mabye I just don't know when to give up...

Tags
None