"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need a good roll out sugar cookie recipe!!

I thought I found a good recipe at allrecipes.com that said it was 'the best' then before I started to mix it I read more of the reviews and people said it tasted awful.

I really want to mix it up tonight a few days ahead of baking them.

Also I could only find Extra large Eggland's best eggs. How do you substitute that in a recipe.

Thanks

tmsouth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's a link to an egg conversion chart.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/cookin...substitutions/

Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

...and here's a reliable recipe.

https://www.marthastewart.com/338471...-sugar-cookies
Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okey, dokey! I've had and made this recipe for more than 45 years. My children, all 8 of them, love this cookie and would be disappointed it there were none at Christmastime.

I've had it before any of them were born and I have no idea where I came upon it. My youngest child is 44, so there was no Internet when I learned of this awesome recipe.

One of the best techniques to having a fantastic end result is to use powdered sugar to the dough on INSTEAD of flour. Flour makes the cookies tough. The sugar eliminates that problem.

Okay, have I tempted you enough? DO NOT vary from the recipe. Believe, me I have tried to make any and all shortcuts. NO milk, cream only, etc. Here's the recipe:

MOM’S CUT-OUT COOKIES
(3 dozen)
½ cup shortening, not butter-flavored
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 Tbsp. heavy cream, not milk
1 Tbsp. almond extract
3½ cups cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Cream the shortening and sugar together and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, cream and almond extract; beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the creamed mixture. Shape dough into a mound and put in a Ziploc bag. Refrigerate until well chilled. Roll on a cloth or board lightly “floured” with powdered sugar until dough is about ¼-inch thick. Cut and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375º for 8 minutes or until delicately browned. Cool and frost and decorate as desired.

Frosting:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg white, unbeaten
Few grains of salt
Flavoring, as desired
Coloring, as desired

With a whisk, gradually add powdered sugar to the egg white. Beat until smooth and of a consistency to pour slightly. Add salt, flavoring and coloring, as desired. Blend well. “Paint” frosting onto cookies and add decorative sprinkles before frosting dries. Let cookies dry completely before storing in an airtight container.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Here's a suggestion - something that I discovered by accident, when making all those icebox cookies: some of those recipes were identical to some that I had made many years earlier, that were roll out cookies. As I was making them, they seemed very familiar, so I went back to the CBs from way back - mostly the NYT - and that's where they were. Same ingredients, different method. After this, I looked around for ones I had left notes next to, and made some roll out ones into icebox cookies - you might try the same in reverse.

I can't imagine why those cookies you made would taste awful, unless shortening or other non-butter fat was used!

Here's a generic recipe for the amounts of these things:

4 oz unsalted butter
1 large egg (using extra large, use a little more flour)
3/4-1 c sugar, white or brown
1 3/4 - 2 c AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

As I stated, this is just a generic recipe; nuts, seeds, vanilla and spices are added as desired, and cocoa can sub for some of the flour, maybe 1/2-2/3c of it. This will give you a crispy cookie, using the icebox or roll-out method. When I made huge numbers of them, the icebox method was much faster!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Okey, dokey! I've had and made this recipe for more than 45 years. My children, all 8 of them, love this cookie and would be disappointed it there were none at Christmastime.

I've had it before any of them were born and I have no idea where I came upon it. My youngest child is 44, so there was no Internet when I learned of this awesome recipe.

One of the best techniques to having a fantastic end result is to use powdered sugar to the dough on INSTEAD of flour. Flour makes the cookies tough. The sugar eliminates that problem.

Okay, have I tempted you enough? DO NOT vary from the recipe. Believe, me I have tried to make any and all shortcuts. NO milk, cream only, etc. Here's the recipe:

MOM’S CUT-OUT COOKIES
(3 dozen)
½ cup shortening, not butter-flavored
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 Tbsp. heavy cream, not milk
1 Tbsp. almond extract
3½ cups cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Cream the shortening and sugar together and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, cream and almond extract; beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the creamed mixture. Shape dough into a mound and put in a Ziploc bag. Refrigerate until well chilled. Roll on a cloth or board lightly “floured” with powdered sugar until dough is about ¼-inch thick. Cut and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375º for 8 minutes or until delicately browned. Cool and frost and decorate as desired.

Frosting:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg white, unbeaten
Few grains of salt
Flavoring, as desired
Coloring, as desired

With a whisk, gradually add powdered sugar to the egg white. Beat until smooth and of a consistency to pour slightly. Add salt, flavoring and coloring, as desired. Blend well. “Paint” frosting onto cookies and add decorative sprinkles before frosting dries. Let cookies dry completely before storing in an airtight container.
I copied this to my personal recipe collection. It’s not public, but I made sure to credit you.

I’m not, nor have I ever been much of a fan of sugar cookies. Nor am I a fan of “Christmas” cookies, but this recipe looked decidedly different, and yummy. Thanks!

Wish I had a pic to add to the recipe!

Tags
cook, cookie, recipe, sugar

Need a good roll out sugar cookie recipe!! I thought I found a good recipe at allrecipes.com that said it was 'the best' then before I started to mix it I read more of the reviews and people said it tasted awful. I really want to mix it up tonight a few days ahead of baking them. Also I could only find Extra large Eggland's best eggs. How do you substitute that in a recipe. Thanks 3 stars 1 reviews