"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Head Chef

New Cookie Press

I just found a GREAT cookie press from Ross. It looks like it's a bit nicer quality than other ones I normally see. It's a Kuhn Rikon Stanless Steel Cookie Press. It came in a nice plastic case with the cookie discs and piping tips.

I have a TON of cook books and know I can probably find a recipe that uses this cookie press. Does anyone know what type of cookie recpie calls for a cookie press?

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 03-19-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Everymom

SHORTBREAD! They are wonderful in a cookie press. Here's my recipe.

1 lb butter
1 cup icing sugar
4 cups flour

Blend well and scoop into press. I generally add a bit of food colouring according to the shape I am making. Green for trees...yellow for stars, that sort of thing. My kids LOVE using the press.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks Alix! Just to double check, icing sugar is powdered sugar, right?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:51 AM   #4
Senior Cook

The first recipe is very good and perfect for the holidays. The second is a great recipe because it is so versatile. You can use lime or orange zest/juice instead of the lemon, or you leave out both the zest and juice and substitute 1 ts of your favorite extract. Almond, butterscotch, peppermint - these all make great cookies!

Gingerbread Spritz
1 c butter, soft
1/2 c molasses
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 ts vanilla extract
2 3/4 c AP flour
1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts ground nutmeg
1/2 ts cinnamon
1/4 ts salt
1/4 ts ginger

Preheat oven to 400F
1.In mixer bowl beat together butter, molasses and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
2.In another bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and ginger. Add to creamed mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours.
3.Place 1/4 of dough in a cookie press. Press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until set, but not brown. Cool on a wire rack

Lemon Cream Spritz
1 c Sweet butter, soft
3 oz Cream cheese, soft
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 ts grated lemon zest (can use orange or lime)
1 tb fresh lemon juice (can use orange or lime)
2 1/2 c flour
1 ts baking powder
**Note: Can leave out citrus zest and juice. Substitute with 1 ts of extract - almond, butterscotch, peppermint, coconut, vanilla, etc

Preheat oven to 375F.
1.Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
2.Add egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour and baking powder to the creamed mixture; beat until creamy and smooth.
3.Fill cookie press with dough and press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Cool on a wire rack.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Thanks Alix! Just to double check, icing sugar is powdered sugar, right?
Sorry to be so long replying. YES to the powdered sugar thing. Hope you enjoy them!

I think I am going to try those Gingerbread Spritz ones. I just made a batch of regular gingerbread, but one that you could do in the press sounds COOL.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:14 AM   #6
Head Chef

I just tried the press w/ a recipe from the booklet that came in the box. It turned out pretty good. I love the press and can't wait to try the recipes posted here.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
My MIL just gave me a cookie press Saturday htc! I was just getting ready to ask for some recipes for it when I ran across your post. The one she gave me is from Pampered Chef. I think she has used it once but she threw away the instruction book that also had recipes in it. Glad I stumbled on to this!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Crewsk, let me know how yours turn out. One thing I noticed...my cookies had a bit of a "tip" on it...after I push the trigger and the cookie shoots out, it leaves a little bit of a tip, like the kind on the end of an ice cream cone. I tried putting the cookie dough in the fridge thinking this would help, big mistake, somehow the cookies don't shoot out properly when the dough is cold.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Will do htc! Hopefully I'll get to try it out next week while my son is out of school for Spring Break.

Tags
None