No bake cookies without so much sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I often make a simple, no bake cookie with my students in class that calls for oatmeal, sugar, cocoa powder, peanut butter, milk, butter..off the top of my head I think that's it. It is a simple tasty recipe, even if you don't refrigerate it. The problem is all of the recipes that I have seen call for 2 cups of white sugar. Most Chinese people find this to be a little too sweet. Do you have any suggestions for partial substitutes that will not be too sweet? I think the purpose of the sugar is to help make the cookie rigid as it cools down from boiling (crystalizes).

If you are not familiar with the recipe you can go here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16617/no-bake-cookies-v/ All of the recipes I have found for this are almost the same.

Last edited:
I have not made something like this, so this is just a guess: I would start by reducing the sugar by 1/2 cup and adding 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of gelatin. That should help firm up the cookies. You might need to experiment with the amount of gelatin.

You dont need to add gelatin, I have a Swedish recipe that is similar and it uses less then 1 cup sugar with no problem, but it depends on what the rest of the amount is.

My wife recently turned vegan and has been making a lot of vegan treats ( if you can actually call a vegan treat a treat.)

Anyway,most recipes call for coconut oil because of its solid consistency at room temp.

Here is a link to a similar cookie with more than 1/2 the amount of sugar ( although its brown sugar) than your recipe above.

I dont think she has tried it so cant vouch for the recipe.

It also does call for less oats than your recipe, but even if you doubled the recipe, it still has less than 1/2 the sugar.

Vegan No-Bake Cookies Recipe - EatingWell

Another 'Treat' she makes are these date balls.
There no additional sweetners added to the recipe.
The dates provide the sweetness.
You would need a food processor.
These I have actually made and tasted and they truly are really good.
It is often used as a no bake pie crust recipe.

https://detoxinista.com/date-energy-balls-vegan-paleo/

Thank you for your suggestions! I am going to try one this weekend. A second question...some of the ingredients are a bit expensive here. Can you think of a complementary good to use with this to stretch it out? Maybe putting some of the nobake cookie on a vanilla wafer - something like that?

Back
Top Bottom