Oatmeal cookie challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief Longwind: Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I can't wait to give this a shot. I'll probably have to wait until Sat to try it out but I'll let you know how it turns out.

BakeChef: I've been asking myself that same question all day. I'm wondering if maybe they use a flour icing and they don't feel the need to mention regular sugar since they have brown sugar on the list??? I really have no idea. I do know he told me he uses a high emoltion (sp?) shortening in the icing and I just assumed he used powder sugar (it was before I got the ingredients list), however I've tried making the icing with high ratio shortening and powder sugar and it's different than his. Too sweet. I started to call them back today and ask about the icing but I was afraid that would be pushing my luck, lol. So I made a flour icing using water and regular sugar. It's okay but still not like theirs.

There is a distince bakery taste to these cookies and I can't figure it out...I wonder if some of these ingredients are special and I'm just using grocery store versions. For example the bread flour...is there a special 'bakery' bread flour??? Or maybe the brown sugar??? I think I'll go research that to see what I can find out.

Whipped egg whites and corn syrup will make a simply marshmallow cream. I'd add vanilla myself, but it could be done.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Really? How much corn syrup would I use with the two egg white I have left over from the cookies? I'm not sure that's what this icing is made of though...but I'd be willing to give it a try!

Also, I've been using light brown sugar and dark corn syrup. Wondering if I should use light for both (the dark corn syrup hasn't changed the color of the cookies at all) or maybe dark for both?? What are y'alls thoughts on the sugar and syrup?

I wonder if this recipe could get you close?

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies « The Craving Chronicles

These look just like them!!! I've got to try this! The ingredients aren't the same but they look so good... I wonder if they've fudged on the ingredients list. You know maybe like naming brown sugar but not white sugar. I wonder if you're required to list every single ingredient or if you can list brown sugar and then not list white???

At any rate...I am going to try these too. I may have to go to the grocery store before fixing both recipes...I'm running out of syrup and oatmeal, lol

mom244now said:
These look just like them!!! I've got to try this! The ingredients aren't the same but they look so good... I wonder if they've fudged on the ingredients list. You know maybe like naming brown sugar but not white sugar. I wonder if you're required to list every single ingredient or if you can list brown sugar and then not list white???

At any rate...I am going to try these too. I may have to go to the grocery store before fixing both recipes...I'm running out of syrup and oatmeal, lol

Well they could just list brown sugar, that way they don't have to mention molasses (brown sugar is just white sugar mixed with molasses). So if their recipe used brown sugar, white sugar and molasses, that brown sugar would cover all of the bases. Could be a sneaky way to not give away their recipe!

The corn syrup could be from the marshmallow cream, since most are just corn syrup, sugar and whipped egg whites.

Last edited:
Really? How much corn syrup would I use with the two egg white I have left over from the cookies? I'm not sure that's what this icing is made of though...but I'd be willing to give it a try!

Also, I've been using light brown sugar and dark corn syrup. Wondering if I should use light for both (the dark corn syrup hasn't changed the color of the cookies at all) or maybe dark for both?? What are y'alls thoughts on the sugar and syrup?

With 2 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks, slowly pour in, while the mixer is running, 1 1/3 cups of light corn syrup. The corn syrup must be boiling hot and slowly drizzled into the beaten egg white.

Usually a syrup of white sugar, water, vanilla, and light corn syrup make up the sweet liquid that goes into marshmallow cream.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Okay I made both recipes. Bake Chef, I made your's yesterday because we had friends over and I thought it best to use a 'tested' recipe on them. They LOVED it. My kids LOVED it. It isn't the same as the one I'm trying to duplicate, but it is a hit for sure. I even shared it with another friend, she made them last night, and she loved them. I didn't have the dark brown sugar when I made your recipe but I did get some and used it in ChiefLongwinds recipe.

Chief Longwind, your recipe is close. Very close. The color (probably the fact that I used dark brwn sugar) is right and the texture is right (moist and chewy yet firm). They weren't sticky which is huge plus! I hate when they are sticky. They taste great! There's still something missing but I'm thinking they must be holding back on a flavor or something. I'm going to ask next time I'm in there. This is definitely the recipe I'll be using to crack the code. It's so close.

Have either of you worked in a bakery before? Do they use something special in their ingredients to give it that 'bakery taste' I really don't know how to describe it but I can taste/smell it in their donuts too.

Okay I made both recipes. Bake Chef, I made your's yesterday because we had friends over and I thought it best to use a 'tested' recipe on them. They LOVED it. My kids LOVED it. It isn't the same as the one I'm trying to duplicate, but it is a hit for sure. I even shared it with another friend, she made them last night, and she loved them. I didn't have the dark brown sugar when I made your recipe but I did get some and used it in ChiefLongwinds recipe.

Chief Longwind, your recipe is close. Very close. The color (probably the fact that I used dark brwn sugar) is right and the texture is right (moist and chewy yet firm). They weren't sticky which is huge plus! I hate when they are sticky. They taste great! There's still something missing but I'm thinking they must be holding back on a flavor or something. I'm going to ask next time I'm in there. This is definitely the recipe I'll be using to crack the code. It's so close.

Have either of you worked in a bakery before? Do they use something special in their ingredients to give it that 'bakery taste' I really don't know how to describe it but I can taste/smell it in their donuts too.

The taste of doughnuts is, Cake doughnut- nutmeg and vanilla, yeast-risen doughnut - yeast and sugar.

It might just need a quarter tsp. of nutmeg to do the trick. And no, I've never worked in a bakery. I just have worked with ingredients enough that I make up my own recipes on the fly. I know how they react with each other. I'm glad that they are close. Good luck.

The taste of doughnuts is, Cake doughnut- nutmeg and vanilla, yeast-risen doughnut - yeast and sugar.

It might just need a quarter tsp. of nutmeg to do the trick. And no, I've never worked in a bakery. I just have worked with ingredients enough that I make up my own recipes on the fly. I know how they react with each other. I'm glad that they are close. Good luck.

I was thinking of trying nutmeg earlier this week and I didn't have any on hand. I'll get some and give it a try. I'm thinking some real vanilla flavor might be good too (I only have imitation). Thank you ALL so much for your input...it has helped me so much. I've been working on this for a couple years and working really hard on it for about 6 months!! I sure will be happy if/when I nail it :LOL:

I been watchin' and reading this for a spell....I finally couldn't stand it no more...made a 4 dozen batch of the Vanishing Oatmeal cookies today. They sure are good!!

I been watchin' and reading this for a spell....I finally couldn't stand it no more...made a 4 dozen batch of the Vanishing Oatmeal cookies today. They sure are good!!

Hey Hoot, we got swamps up here that you can hang out next to. We have one that's only 'bout 30 minutes from here called "Delirium Wilderness". Then you can make 4 dozen vanishing oatmeal cookies, up here where we appreciate 'em.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I haven't worked in a real bakery, but I do know that they have flavorings that aren't easily available to the general public. They use a lot of emulsions, these are a bit different from extracts as the flavor doesn't cook out. I'm not sure what flavor they would be using, but I have a flavor called Princess Flavor, that has a vanilla, citrus, and nut type flavor, it smells like an old school bakery cake. This is the one that I have, if you have a cake supply store nearby, they may carry it.
Princess Cake & Cookie Flavor - 4 oz.

If you have molasses, you can use your light brown sugar, and add 1 tablespoon of molasses per cup of light brown sugar in the recipe. That's the only difference between light and dark brown sugar! You can even make your own brown sugar if you run out. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon molasses makes light brown sugar. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons molasses makes dark brown sugar.

Last edited:
Hoot said:

Hoot, they're awesome. I am so not a baker, but I do bake these! You can also make them in bar form, I always have them in the freezer, individually wrapped, so we can grab and go.

I'll bet the Quaker recipe will do for the cookie part, but my guess is that it's the icing in middle which kids go crazy for.

That Quaker recipe is good (very good!). I've had so many oatmeal cookies this week...I'm getting a bit tired of 'em. Can't believe I just said that, lol. I picked salsa and chips for my dessert this evening!

Hey Hoot, we got swamps up here that you can hang out next to. We have one that's only 'bout 30 minutes from here called "Delirium Wilderness". Then you can make 4 dozen vanishing oatmeal cookies, up here where we appreciate 'em.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Well now...thank ye for the kind offer! If I ever get that far north, I will be sure to take a look around the Delirium Wilderness (I really like that name!).
I will be sure to bring provisions for oatmeal cookies.

mom244now said:
That Quaker recipe is good (very good!). I've had so many oatmeal cookies this week...I'm getting a bit tired of 'em. Can't believe I just said that, lol. I picked salsa and chips for my dessert this evening!

:ROFLMAO: I bet you ARE tired of 'em!

Last edited:
I haven't worked in a real bakery, but I do know that they have flavorings that aren't easily available to the general public. They use a lot of emulsions, these are a bit different from extracts as the flavor doesn't cook out. I'm not sure what flavor they would be using, but I have a flavor called Princess Flavor, that has a vanilla, citrus, and nut type flavor, it smells like an old school bakery cake. This is the one that I have, if you have a cake supply store nearby, they may carry it.
Princess Cake & Cookie Flavor - 4 oz.

If you have molasses, you can use your light brown sugar, and add 1 tablespoon of molasses per cup of light brown sugar in the recipe. That's the only difference between light and dark brown sugar! You can even make your own brown sugar if you run out. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon molasses makes light brown sugar. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons molasses makes dark brown sugar.

I've seen the Princess flavor before but was afraid to get it because it has that citrus flavor and these cookies don't have that. Do you actually taste the citrus/lemon flavor or is it more of a nutty/vanilla?

I did buy a Baker's Mystery Flavor but it didn't work for me. It has a strong taste and it really stands out. Maybe I used too much.

I bet you are tired of them. Can you identify the post # that had the Quaker recipe that you used? So many recipes were suggested, I'm a bit confused as to which ones you liked (maybe you could rate them!). Thanks.

Come to think on it, Chief..Mrs Hoot has a sister that lives in Michigan. She keeps talkin' about travelin' there for a visit. I told her ..maybe, but not until summer...I ain't a-goin' there in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom