"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I wonder if they make a batter similar to pancake batter, but with yeast in it. Yeast raised waffles are fabulous, and if made with brown sugar, taste like cookies. Try this:

2 cups AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1.2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped raisins
1 packet quick rise yeast
3 tbs melted butter
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 cups warm water (abut 105'F)

Combine water and yeast in a glass or plastic bowl and let sit for ten minutes.
Combine the remaining ingredients, except for the oil and egg, in a large bowl. When the ten minutes has elapsed, whisk together the oil and egg in a separate bowl. Add the egg/oil mixture, and the yeast to the large bowl and fold everything together to make a thick batter. Let rise for ten minutes in a warm place. Spoon onto your greased cookie sheet and bake at 350' F for 12 minutes. Remove and let cool. Sandwich the filling between cookie pairs.

If the batter is too runny, add a little more flour and gently fold it in.

The cookies should be light and fluffy, like little cakes, and sweet, but not too sweet.

I don't think it's probably exactly what you're looking for, but the primary aroma in most bakeries is sweetened yeast raised pastries. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief Longwind, that sounds so good. My mouth is watering for waffles now. The ingredients list I have for these cookies doesn't have margarine or yeast listed so I doubt it's the same...although these sound so good they may even be better.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom244now View Post
Chief Longwind, that sounds so good. My mouth is watering for waffles now. The ingredients list I have for these cookies doesn't have margarine or yeast listed so I doubt it's the same...although these sound so good they may even be better.
That recipe was supposed to say 1/2 cup of brown sugar, not 1.2 cups brown sugar. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh, and if you have the right plates for your waffle iron, you can roll these into ice cream cones, or if not, simply serve them hot, with good ice cream. Yum.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Brown sugar cookies! What a great idea! I bet that's why mine are lighter in color than theirs. I have noticed also that they use much less oatmeal than all the recipes I've looked at. I made some today (can't get my pic to load...I'll try again later) and the texture is right but the color and taste aren't. They have something in theirs that I can't put my finger on. It's what you smell when you walk in a bakery. I have no idea what it is though. I do know they don't use a mix as a base because they advertise that they make everything from scratch with fresh ingredients.

Also my icing is way too sweet. I used high ratio shortening, powder sugar, water, vanilla, tad of almond, and some salt. I need to work on it. I wonder if they use the icing that has flour in it?? I need to try out that recipe.

Bake Chef
You don't live too far from this bakery. I'd be willing to mail you some cookies if you thought you could create a duplicate
Where is this bakery?

I would start the icing with the shortening, add vanilla cream (fluff) vanilla, and salt and add just enough powdered sugar until it tastes right, I always find that I add less than the amount called for and often don't need the water or other liquid. Then whip it until it is nice and fluffy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Where is this bakery?

I would start the icing with the shortening, add vanilla cream (fluff) vanilla, and salt and add just enough powdered sugar until it tastes right, I always find that I add less than the amount called for and often don't need the water or other liquid. Then whip it until it is nice and fluffy.
The bakery is in (southern) VA.

What is vanilla cream (fluff) vanilla? Is it like vanilla extract? I googled it but couldn't find anything here in the states.
I've made a recipe with marshmellow fluff and another with butter instead of shortening but they aren't right. This is a cake icing but it's perfect, not too sweet not too much shortening.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom244now

The bakery is in (southern) VA.

What is vanilla cream (fluff) vanilla? Is it like vanilla extract? I googled it but couldn't find anything here in the states.
I've made a recipe with marshmellow fluff and another with butter instead of shortening but they aren't right. This is a cake icing but it's perfect, not too sweet not too much shortening.
Sorry, missed a comma, what I meant was "marshmallow creme (fluff), vanilla extract!" I don't know why I put vanilla creme, that was supposed to be marshmallow creme! Just regular marshmallow cream, nothing out of the ordinary. Fluff is just a brand of marshmallow cream, it's my favorite and what I grew up with.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I talked to the bakery today and they said there are no spices only the ingredients listed on the box (which I listed in my original post). I am so befuddled. I removed an egg and some flour and now it's too thin and too sweet. And the cookie is too light. It doesn't even taste like theirs. :(
Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
I talked to the bakery today and they said there are no spices only the ingredients listed on the box (which I listed in my original post). I am so befuddled. I removed an egg and some flour and now it's too thin and too sweet. And the cookie is too light. It doesn't even taste like theirs. :(
One more question, how many cookies are in a package. I should be able to give you something close with the ingredients listed on their package.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #38
Master Chef

I decided to give this recipe creation a shot. I simply adjusted the ingredient list to match what I know about how ingredients work together. Try it and let me know how it turns out.

Ingredients:
2 cups Bread flour
1 tsp. salt,
2 whole eggs
˝ cup raisins, softened in hot water, then chopped
2 cups oats
1 ˝ cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup veg. shortening
˝ cup corn syrup
2 tsp. baking soda

Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites in a glass, or stainless steel bowl, not plastic. Combine egg yolks and shortening. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup to the eggyolk/shortening bowl and mix completely. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients and blend together with a balloon whisk. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Mix this batter a little, to develop some of the gluten in the bread flour. This will make them a little bit chewy, and capture the CO2 from the baking powder. Drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Remove by carefully sliding the parchment paper off of the cookie sheet, and onto a cooking rack. Let cool before eating.

This should get you very close. You may have to adjust the ratio of brown sugar to corn syrup to get the flavor you’re looking for. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Ingredients: Bread flour, salt, whole eggs, raisins, oats, brown sugar, veg. shortening, corn syrup, baking soda.
Thank you in advance!
Is that the entire ingredient list? If that is all that's on the package than I don't think that this is the entire contents, there really isn't much that could be used to make the filling.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Is that the entire ingredient list? If that is all that's on the package than I don't think that this is the entire contents, there really isn't much that could be used to make the filling.
Whipped egg whites and corn syrup will make a simply marshmallow cream. I'd add vanilla myself, but it could be done.

Tags
cookie, corn syrup, oatmeal, oats, other