Oatmeal cookie challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom244now

Assistant Cook
Hi,
My children and I have fallen in love with a cream-filled oatmeal cookie at a local bakery. Basically it's two large, soft oatmeal cookies with icing in between.
I have 4 children and these cookies are $1.25 each so it's getting pretty expensive. We are trying to figure out how to make these cookies at home but are not having any luck. I have the ingrediants but I don't know the proportions. (I got the ingrediants off of a box of cookies they were selling, I'm not sure if they omitted the spices or if they just don't use them, they don't taste spicy)
I have a recipe for homemade icing but it doesn't taste the same and the cookie itself is different from any recipe I can find online. There are some raisins but they appear to be chopped and there aren't many of them. The oatmeal is not overwhelming either.
I would love any suggestion for how to take these ingrediants and come up with a workable recipe (mine never comes out right). I have uploaded a couple of pic's to give you an idea of what this cookie looks like.

Ingredients: Bread flour, salt, whole eggs, raisins, oats, brown sugar, veg. shortening, corn syrup, baking soda.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 246
Welcome to DC! And ditto, what do you use for the filling? I'm thinking they'd be really good with a homemade Nutella (links to which have been posted, but if you can't find them, I can--I think one is from Martha Stewart's web site).

Another vote for the Quakers recipe. I think it's under the lid of the box.

Wow thanks everyone for your replies! I've used the Quaker recipe and they are very very good but it just doesn't compare to these (sorry, lol).
As for the filling I use powder sugar, shortening, and a little water. It comes out sweeter than their's. They told me one thing to change about my filling, I should use high-emoltion shortening. I bought some online, but I haven't tried it yet.

The problem I'm having with these ingredients is getting the right amount of wet/dry proportions. I can't find a recipe with corn syrup, brown sugar, and no white sugar. I'm wondering, maybe I could just use all brown sugar in place of the white sugar? It seems like this should be easy but we've made dozens of batches and it's not turning out right.

I've used the Quaker recipe and they are very very good but it just doesn't compare to these (sorry, lol).
Holy smoke!! I hope you will share your version when you get it right!
I will trade you a marinade recipe for grilled shrimp!!

16629-albums905-picture4972.gif

Yes of course! I love grilled shrimp:)
Ok...I reckon I can trust ya... ;)
[FONT=&quot]Hoot's Grilled Shrimp[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup beer, any brand ...your favorite[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp rice wine vinegar (if you don't have rice wine vinegar you can use apple cider vinegar)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tbsp Parsley (fresh if you have it, if not dried will do fine)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 - 2 shallot minced (substitute very small onion if you have no shallot)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cloves garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 lbs. large or extra large shrimp, headless, unshelled[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]wooden or metal skewers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Mix all the ingredients, except the shrimp, in a medium sized bowl.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Thread shrimp onto the skewers. Lay skewers of shrimp in a glass casserole dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I use a 13x 9 dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Pour marinade mixture over the skewered shrimp. Cover and let sit in refrigerator [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for at least one hour. The longer the better, up to about 4 hours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Remove shrimp from refrigerator about 30 min. or so before grilling, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]basting skewers with marinade that collects in the bottom of the dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Grill over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are opaque and pink.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Serve immediately.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Serves 3 people....or two hungry people....or one very hungry Hoot![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Enjoy!![/FONT]

Ok...I reckon I can trust ya... ;)

[FONT=&quot]Hoot's Grilled Shrimp[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup beer, any brand ...your favorite[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp rice wine vinegar (if you don't have rice wine vinegar you can use apple cider vinegar)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tbsp Parsley (fresh if you have it, if not dried will do fine)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 - 2 shallot minced (substitute very small onion if you have no shallot)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cloves garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 lbs. large or extra large shrimp, headless, unshelled[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]wooden or metal skewers[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mix all the ingredients, except the shrimp, in a medium sized bowl.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thread shrimp onto the skewers. Lay skewers of shrimp in a glass casserole dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I use a 13x 9 dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pour marinade mixture over the skewered shrimp. Cover and let sit in refrigerator [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for at least one hour. The longer the better, up to about 4 hours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove shrimp from refrigerator about 30 min. or so before grilling, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]basting skewers with marinade that collects in the bottom of the dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grill over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are opaque and pink.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serve immediately.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serves 3 people....or two hungry people....or one very hungry Hoot![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Enjoy!![/FONT]
Got it! THANK YOU

I did some web surfing on Cooks.com and found a Scottish Oatmeal cookie recipie that uses corn syrup and also Cream Filled Oatmeal Cookies and the cream filling is made with shortening, marshmallow fluff and powdered sugar. Since they are copyrighted, I don't think I can post the recipies here, but if you go to that web site and put in the titles they should come up for you. The Scottish Oatmeal cookies are softer than the Quaker kind and puff up a bit when baked, like your picture. Try and see if that might help. Good luck and post some pics so we can drool over the cookies!

I did some web surfing on Cooks.com and found a Scottish Oatmeal cookie recipie that uses corn syrup and also Cream Filled Oatmeal Cookies and the cream filling is made with shortening, marshmallow fluff and powdered sugar. Since they are copyrighted, I don't think I can post the recipies here, but if you go to that web site and put in the titles they should come up for you. The Scottish Oatmeal cookies are softer than the Quaker kind and puff up a bit when baked, like your picture. Try and see if that might help. Good luck and post some pics so we can drool over the cookies!

I have no idea how I missed those. I've checked cooks.com before but it may have been before I got my ingredients list. So I checked those out and they are both very close.
The oatmeal cream has all of the ingredients except Molassess instead of corn syrup, an easy substitute I'd guess. And it includes 1/4 cup milk which I'm thinking I might omit, what do you think that would do?
The Scottish Oatmeal Raisin has everything except it uses melted butter instead of shortening. It also uses baking powder. Would it be okay to substitute the same amount of shortening, in place of the butter? And omit the baking powder?
I'll probably give it a try tomorrow and I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thank you so much!!

I have no idea how I missed those. I've checked cooks.com before but it may have been before I got my ingredients list. So I checked those out and they are both very close.
The oatmeal cream has all of the ingredients except Molassess instead of corn syrup, an easy substitute I'd guess. And it includes 1/4 cup milk which I'm thinking I might omit, what do you think that would do?
The Scottish Oatmeal Raisin has everything except it uses melted butter instead of shortening. It also uses baking powder. Would it be okay to substitute the same amount of shortening, in place of the butter? And omit the baking powder?
I'll probably give it a try tomorrow and I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thank you so much!!

It may change the consistency just a bit, but I've subbed butter for shortening before and it turned out fine, so I'm sure you can do that. The baking powder probably causes the puffy appearance, but you could try both ways and see which fits best. Glad this helped, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mom Eva´s Oatmeal Cookies

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

My Mom Eva ( many many years ago ) used to bake these Oatmeal Cookies for me, and my two grown married daughters and mothers, now prepare them for their children ...

Though, I have not made them in years, we are translating my Mom Eva´s notebooks of recipes, my younger daughter Nathalia in Zürich, Switzerland has been translating the Swiss German & High German to English for us ...

Here is the recipe:

:chef: Eva´s Oatmeal Cookies ...

*** Yield: 4 dozen

1 1/4 cups room temperature butter
3/4 cups firmly packed Brown Sugar
1/4 or 1/2 cup sugar ( white normal variety )
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. ground Nutmeg
3 cups regular Oats Uncooked
1/2 cup Raisins

1. beat butter with electric mixer at medium velocity
2. slowly, combine brown and white sugar varieties, mixing thoroughly
3. then, add the egg and the vanilla extract and combine thoroughly
4. add the flour now and the next 4 ingredients
5. slowly, mix in the butter and combine well
6. add the oats and the raisins now
7. with a tablespoon: drop the dough onto Un-greased cookie sheets
8. Bake at 190 centigrade degrees or 375 farenheit degrees 10 minutes or until golden
9. cool slightly on cookie sheets and let cool completely on racks

I have not made these in years, however, if you have any questions, I shall send an email to Naia and Nathalia.

Hope it works for you, Ciao,
Kind regards & Have lovely August.
Margaux Cintrano.

Hoot: Wow, Shrimp Marinade

:yum: Hoot, Buon Giorno, Good Morning, :yum:

You are a man with quite a few goodies up your sleeves ... This is a must try ...

In Puglia or Madrid: My only problem, could you explain: what does 2 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning consist of ?

In other words, which spices can I sub to prepare your marinade ?

Thanks so much, Ciao,
Have lovely Wednesday.
Margi.

In Puglia or Madrid: My only problem, could you explain: what does 2 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning consist of ?

In other words, which spices can I sub to prepare your marinade ?
Here is a reasonable facsimile of Old Bay I posted in the I Hate Zucchini thread. It ain't exactly the same but it's close.
I Hate Zucchini #17
Here is a link to the Old Bay Website
Old Bay Seasoning
Not sure if they will ship overseas....
It is similar to a Cajun type crab /shrimp boil seasoning but IMHO, better than most.

Hope y'all like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom