Oatmeal Cookies are the bane of my existence!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsAnya

Cook
Seriously, I can not make oatmeal cookies to save my life. I've tried numerous recipes and they all turn out crappy. I really want to make some that are excellant because it's my mom's favorite cookie and she's really sick right now. I made one batch that my mom said she liked but they were more little bitty cakes then cookies. Dad said she was just being nice. *LOL*

Like I said I've tried numerous recipes so I dont have a specific one. I'd love some input and if you have a favorite recipe I'd love to try it then maybe post my results and y'all can tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong.

The batch I made today was bad. RLD is eating them but he will eat anything. He also says it's "missing something".

Help please!

Oh, Anya. I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. When I'm at my "regular" computer, I'll post a tried and true oatmeal cookie recipe that's been in my family for nearly 40 years. Don't worry, you'll get the "right" recipe.

Buy a carton of Quaker Oatmeal, the kind that cooks in one minute. Make the recipe for "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies". I make them with raisins and walnuts. They are the best without question!!

Buy a carton of Quaker Oatmeal, the kind that cooks in one minute. Make the recipe for "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies". I make them with raisins and walnuts. They are the best without question!!

I SECOND Andy's post! Oatmeal cookies are my absolute favorite dessert. I love them so much, in fact, that I make them at least once a month. I end up eating 2 or 3 and then taking them all to work because I can not be trusted with a jar of oatmeal cookies in the house. The Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe is definitely the best and can be found by following the link. Like Andy, I also like them with about 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or pecans).

I THIRD That motion!! I ask the DW where she got the recipe for Oatmeal cookies, and she laughed and said off the Oatmeal Box. She does the raisin and puh-con routine! Mmmm Mmmm Good!!!

Enjoy!!!

i forgot to mention, I also like to use the old-fashioned oats, not the quick oats or the instant oats. it's more "oaty" if that makes any sense :chef:

i forgot to mention, I also like to use the old-fashioned oats, not the quick oats or the instant oats. it's more "oaty" if that makes any sense :chef:

Makes sense to me! I enjoy the Old Fashion out of a bowl better too. However with the cookies the Quick 1 Minute works to perfection!

Have Gun!!

If you like your Oatmeal Cookies to be soft, these are the best ever. Unfortunately, I don't like raisins any more, so I haven't made these lately, but you won't be disappointed!

from the Feastivals Files:
BARBARA COOPER'S OATMEAL COOKIES

makes 6-7 dozen

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

1 cup raisins
1 cup water

Simmer over low heat until raisins are plump (about 20-30 minutes). Drain liquid into measuring cup. Add water (or rum) to make 1/2 cup of liquid.

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups (cane) sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix together. Stir in the raisin liquid.

2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each: ground cloves, mace, nutmeg

Stir together and add to butter mixture:

2 cups rolled oats
the previously prepared raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Add dry ingredients to dough.

Drop rounded teaspoons of dough about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 - 10 minutes.

These cookies will stay soft because of the soft raisins, and the raisins will stay soft because of the liquid they’ve imbibed.

* Barbara Cooper was a friend of mine when I lived in Milwaukee, WI. She met an untimely death in 1972. These cookies are part of her gift to posterity. Rest in peace, dear friend.

Here's my grandma's recipe. If ever there was a cookie that tasted like love, it's this one.

Grandma Snarr’s Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups flour
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup raisins

Cream together shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients, saving raisins and nuts till last. Drop spoonfuls on sprayed baking sheet and bake in preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned. Makes a big batch.

:)Thats the recipe I use I like to add some coconut,toasted pecans,and craisins to recipe people love them so do I.

Yup....that's the one. Best cookies ever!

You're fortunate to have a ready and free supply on hand. Pecans are relatively expensive in the Northeast.

Back
Top Bottom