Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
[FONT=&quot]Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 ¼ cups sifted AP flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 t baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 T ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1t ground cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ t ground cloves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ t ground nutmeg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup granulated sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup black strap molasses[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup leftover coffee[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup bacon fat [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 large FRESH egg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl. Beat sugar and bacon grease until fluffy; add molasses and egg beat until well blended. Add dry ingredients alternating with coffee. Drop on ungreased baking sheets and bake for approx. 15 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven. Test with a clean broom straw or toothpick. Yield approx. 18 large cookies.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Comments:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I use a yellow handled 1 ¾ ounce disher to portion these. You can form a golf ball sized ball of batter using a tablespoon if a disher is not available. Allow room for these cakelike cookies to spread. I usually allow nine to a pan and bake in two batches.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If bacon fat is not available use vegetable shortening or margarine. Butter is not recommended.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Water may be substituted for coffee.[/FONT]

I hardly ever bake but I love Molasses Cookies Bea! I'd like to make these but wonder if I'd ever use up a bottle of black strap molasses if I bought one. What else do you use it for? I have an idea this is an ancient recipe using bacon fat, and can you tell me what a "disher" is? I'm just full of questions aren't I?
Thanks so much for the interesting recipe.

A disher is like an ice cream scoop, made for portion control in professional kitchens. I have several in different sizes that I got at restaurant supply. I use them mostly for cookies and I have one big one that I use to measure out waffle batter, it is a 4 oz capacity and 2 make a perfect waffle!

4543.jpg

Yum! These sound great! Haven't made molasses cookies in ages.

A disher is like an ice cream scoop, made for portion control in professional kitchens. I have several in different sizes that I got at restaurant supply. I use them mostly for cookies and I have one big one that I use to measure out waffle batter, it is a 4 oz capacity and 2 make a perfect waffle!

4543.jpg

Thanks BC, guess you can tell I'm not a baker. ;)
I had no idea those different sized ice cream scoops were called dishers.
There's my new word for the day. :)

I'm no baker either, but I love molasses cookies, AND I have all the ingredients! Copied and printed out at copy. Thanks Aunt Bea!

Kayelle, I add molasses to bottled BBQ sauce for that blackened sticky sweet BBQ taste. You can also use it pretty much instead of brown sugar. I keep a jar on hand. It lasts forever and is there when I want it. It's also tasty stirred into a glass of milk for a sweet treat. A little goes a long way, though.

I'm no baker either, but I love molasses cookies, AND I have all the ingredients! Copied and printed out at copy. Thanks Aunt Bea!

Kayelle, I add molasses to bottled BBQ sauce for that blackened sticky sweet BBQ taste. You can also use it pretty much instead of brown sugar. I keep a jar on hand. It lasts forever and is there when I want it. It's also tasty stirred into a glass of milk for a sweet treat. A little goes a long way, though.

Z, after I asked the question, I went looking for an answer as often happens. In addition to the uses you mentioned I found that it is a high source of iron. That in turn lead to a very dim, nearly forgotten memory of being deficient in iron as a little girl, and my mother dishing out a teaspoon of it into my yap every morning. Oh how I hated the stuff just plain like that. I wonder why she never thought to put it in some milk. Wish I could ask her. Oh how she would have loved the internet!!

I hardly ever bake but I love Molasses Cookies Bea! I'd like to make these but wonder if I'd ever use up a bottle of black strap molasses if I bought one. What else do you use it for? I have an idea this is an ancient recipe using bacon fat, and can you tell me what a "disher" is? I'm just full of questions aren't I?
Thanks so much for the interesting recipe.

I use molasses for BBQ sauce, gingerbread, cookies etc...

It keeps forever.

You don't need a disher.

I use them to help keep things uniform and to speed up the process.

These are quite spicy, not overly sweet, grown up cookies.

I hope you give em a try!

Molasses in milk was a treat at my grandmothers house when I was a kid, we enjoyed it hot or cold! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom