"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies

Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies

2 cups sifted AP flour
2 t baking soda
1 T ground ginger
1t ground cinnamon
t ground cloves
t ground nutmeg
t salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
cup black strap molasses
cup leftover coffee
cup bacon fat
1 large FRESH egg

Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl. Beat sugar and bacon grease until fluffy; add molasses and egg beat until well blended. Add dry ingredients alternating with coffee. Drop on ungreased baking sheets and bake for approx. 15 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven. Test with a clean broom straw or toothpick. Yield approx. 18 large cookies.
Comments:
I use a yellow handled 1 ounce disher to portion these. You can form a golf ball sized ball of batter using a tablespoon if a disher is not available. Allow room for these cakelike cookies to spread. I usually allow nine to a pan and bake in two batches.
If bacon fat is not available use vegetable shortening or margarine. Butter is not recommended.
Water may be substituted for coffee.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

I hardly ever bake but I love Molasses Cookies Bea! I'd like to make these but wonder if I'd ever use up a bottle of black strap molasses if I bought one. What else do you use it for? I have an idea this is an ancient recipe using bacon fat, and can you tell me what a "disher" is? I'm just full of questions aren't I?
Thanks so much for the interesting recipe.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

A disher is like an ice cream scoop, made for portion control in professional kitchens. I have several in different sizes that I got at restaurant supply. I use them mostly for cookies and I have one big one that I use to measure out waffle batter, it is a 4 oz capacity and 2 make a perfect waffle!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yum! These sound great! Haven't made molasses cookies in ages.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
A disher is like an ice cream scoop, made for portion control in professional kitchens. I have several in different sizes that I got at restaurant supply. I use them mostly for cookies and I have one big one that I use to measure out waffle batter, it is a 4 oz capacity and 2 make a perfect waffle!

Thanks BC, guess you can tell I'm not a baker.
I had no idea those different sized ice cream scoops were called dishers.
There's my new word for the day.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm no baker either, but I love molasses cookies, AND I have all the ingredients! Copied and printed out at copy. Thanks Aunt Bea!

Kayelle, I add molasses to bottled BBQ sauce for that blackened sticky sweet BBQ taste. You can also use it pretty much instead of brown sugar. I keep a jar on hand. It lasts forever and is there when I want it. It's also tasty stirred into a glass of milk for a sweet treat. A little goes a long way, though.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm no baker either, but I love molasses cookies, AND I have all the ingredients! Copied and printed out at copy. Thanks Aunt Bea!

Kayelle, I add molasses to bottled BBQ sauce for that blackened sticky sweet BBQ taste. You can also use it pretty much instead of brown sugar. I keep a jar on hand. It lasts forever and is there when I want it. It's also tasty stirred into a glass of milk for a sweet treat. A little goes a long way, though.
Z, after I asked the question, I went looking for an answer as often happens. In addition to the uses you mentioned I found that it is a high source of iron. That in turn lead to a very dim, nearly forgotten memory of being deficient in iron as a little girl, and my mother dishing out a teaspoon of it into my yap every morning. Oh how I hated the stuff just plain like that. I wonder why she never thought to put it in some milk. Wish I could ask her. Oh how she would have loved the internet!!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hardly ever bake but I love Molasses Cookies Bea! I'd like to make these but wonder if I'd ever use up a bottle of black strap molasses if I bought one. What else do you use it for? I have an idea this is an ancient recipe using bacon fat, and can you tell me what a "disher" is? I'm just full of questions aren't I?
Thanks so much for the interesting recipe.

I use molasses for BBQ sauce, gingerbread, cookies etc...

It keeps forever.

You don't need a disher.

I use them to help keep things uniform and to speed up the process.

These are quite spicy, not overly sweet, grown up cookies.

I hope you give em a try!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

Molasses in milk was a treat at my grandmothers house when I was a kid, we enjoyed it hot or cold!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I wished you share a picture of this cookie :)

Tags
cookies, recipe

Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies [FONT="]Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies[/FONT] [FONT="]2 cups sifted AP flour[/FONT] [FONT="]2 t baking soda[/FONT] [FONT="]1 T ground ginger[/FONT] [FONT="]1t ground cinnamon[/FONT] [FONT="] t ground cloves[/FONT] [FONT="] t ground nutmeg[/FONT] [FONT="] t salt[/FONT] [FONT="]1/2 cup granulated sugar[/FONT] [FONT="] cup black strap molasses[/FONT] [FONT="] cup leftover coffee[/FONT] [FONT="] cup bacon fat [/FONT] [FONT="]1 large [B]FRESH[/B] egg[/FONT] [FONT="]Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl. Beat sugar and bacon grease until fluffy; add molasses and egg beat until well blended. Add dry ingredients alternating with coffee. Drop on ungreased baking sheets and bake for approx. 15 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven. Test with a clean broom straw or toothpick. Yield approx. 18 large cookies.[/FONT] [FONT="]Comments:[/FONT] [FONT="]I use a yellow handled 1 ounce disher to portion these. You can form a golf ball sized ball of batter using a tablespoon if a disher is not available. Allow room for these cakelike cookies to spread. I usually allow nine to a pan and bake in two batches.[/FONT] [FONT="]If bacon fat is not available use vegetable shortening or margarine. Butter is not recommended.[/FONT] [FONT="]Water may be substituted for coffee.[/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews