Just like me, my girlfriend is vegan. Though her daughter is not vegan, when she cooks up desserts like cookies, she likes to be sure her mom will be able to enjoy them right along with her. To that end, she has become quite the vegan baker. These are the daughter's chocolate chip cookies:
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance Light (or Earth Balance or any vegan whey-free margarine will work fine too)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 heaping Tbsp. flax meal
- 1 heaping Tbsp. Ener-G egg replacer powder
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips (Guittard is tofu-n-sproutz's favorite)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a small bowl, mix soy milk VERY WELL (until creamy) with Ener-G egg replacer and flax meal using an electric mixer or hand (immersion) blender. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Set Aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil, Smart Balance and sugars. Add soy/flax mixture and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture to liquids. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by well rounded teaspoonfulls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 - 10 min. until lightly golden. (Can also be made into bar cookies in 9 X 12 pan)