"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Parliament biscuits

Parliament Cakes or known locally in Edinburgh as 'Parlies'

These are not 'cakes' but biscuits (cookies) invented in Edinburgh. They are crisp and gingery and delicious!

Ingredients:
8oz plain flour
4oz butter
4oz brown sugar
1 large egg
4oz (approx 2 tablespoons) treacle
2 teaspoons ground ginger

Method:
Mix the flour, ginger and sugar. Gently melt the butter in a saucepan and add the treacle. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously (best to use a wooden spoon). Turn off the heat and add the other ingredients, beating vigorously. Cool until you are able to handle the mixture. Then take small quantitity (about a dessertspoonful) of the mixture with and drop onto a well greased baking tray or sheet (you may need to use another spoon to help the stiff mixture 'leave' the spoon!). Flatten slightly with a fork and leave space between each one to allow it to spread. Cook at Gas Mark 3/325F for 25/30 minutes.

Use a palette knife or to lift the biscuits off the tray and allow to cool on a drying rack. Store in an air-tight container.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Cook

can I sub reg. cane syrup for the treacle??

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
Head Chef

I'll defer to Ishbel definately, but to me, treacle is almost identical to cane syrup and I do believe is made from sugar cane. (Am I right here, Ishbel?)

So, my vote would be "yes", southerncook...but only cane syrup, not Steens.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Executive Chef

As I'm not sure what you refer to as cane syrup, I'm sorry but I can't help!

Treacle is very dark and very, very sticky and viscous - it helps to heat the spoon before you scoop out the treacle - it then releases from the spoon more easily!
Old 11-24-2004, 02:36 AM   #5
Senior Cook

ausdeo, I'm thinking steens.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #6
Head Chef

Well, southerncook, I just checked my bottle of Steens. I thought Steens was sorghum molasses, but it is (of course, DUH!) 100% Cane Syrup. Yep, use that (despite what I wrote earlier.... :? )

Ishbell, what I'm referring to is syrup made from "sugar cane" instead of syrup made from tree sap. My recollection (and I no longer have a can) is that treacle, which is exactly as you described in viscosity, is made from sugar cane, while golden syrup is more like a maple.

Okay folks, am I nuts here? Kyles? Leaf Storm? What say ye? (Ishbel, if you've not been introduced to those two, they're Brits...)
Old 11-24-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef

According to this site, British 'treacle', which is very dark and viscous is similar, but different than US molasses....
http://www.culinarycafe.com/Substitu...uivalents.html

The interesting thing is that the English standby treacle tart is not actually made with treacle but with golden syrup, which I think you are talking about when you say cane syrup...

Again, it is quite difficult to exactly explain something in American terms - I have not cooked many US recipes as all that 'cup' of this, 'cup' of that just confuses me utterly
Old 12-01-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Treacle and Lyles Golden syrup are two things a serious cook or baker shouldn't be without. I have had the Lyle's all my life as a best girlfriends parents came to the US from England. Peanut butter sandwiches on home made bread with Lyle's is the best ever.
I bought my Treacle in Scotland at a local market while there with our daughter celebrating her 25th birthday. Husband and I thought it was a good present, (yeh, ya think?) We adored it there and I now adore Treacle. It's sort of similar to a robust molassas but yet, with a pungent flavor that molasses lacks. It is wonderful, hot spoon, direct into the can, lick as is. YUM!

Ishbel, I'll be making these Parlies. Thanks for sharing.
Could you please add your voice to a post
I adore Scottish accents.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Add my voice to a post?I'm barely computer-literate..... how on earth would I do that?!!!

Glad someone knows what I mean by treacle - it's an acquired taste, but like Tate & Lyle's Golden Syrup, a mainstay of any British cook's store cupboard!

As you've discovered, the hot spoon is the way to go... 8)

Tags
None