"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Powdered sugar on the cookies before or after baking?

Please share your expertise with me:

All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar AFTER the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle BEFORE cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

emily

__________________

__________________
mle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,867
Sprinkle AFTER baking. Some will fall off but most will stick.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Why not try sprinkling before baking, on just a couple of the cookies. I like the idea of carmelizing. You might just have a whole new twist.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! happy holidays!
__________________
mle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
LindaZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mle View Post
Please share your expertise with me:

All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar AFTER the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle BEFORE cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

emily
I you sprinkle after baking, the heat of the cookie holds the powdered sugar on the cookie. Some will still fall off, but doing it before cooking only melts the sugar and they don't look as nice.
__________________
"Life is too short for ugly cowboys and slow horses."
LindaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaz View Post
i you sprinkle after baking, the heat of the cookie holds the powdered sugar on the cookie. Some will still fall off, but doing it before cooking only melts the sugar and they don't look as nice.
i agree!!

Why can't I use all caps? This is stupid I hate being edited or censored if I am not saying anything offensive!! IF I WANT CAPS (that was in all caps) I should be able to use them!!

Ok this is weird!! My above post "I AGREE" was changed to all lower case instead of caps but not this post. Is someone messing with my head? LOL
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,588
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i agree!!

Why can't I use all caps? This is stupid I hate being edited or censored if I am not saying anything offensive!! IF I WANT CAPS (that was in all caps) I should be able to use them!!

Ok this is weird!! My above post "I AGREE" was changed to all lower case instead of caps but not this post. Is someone messing with my head? LOL
All caps means that you are shouting. Just bold it instead.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Italics work good for emphasis as well. It indicates stressing the word, but not shouting it.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
AnnieDrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 409
It's probably too late to help the OP but it might come in handy in the future. I made a recipe recently that called for rolling the cookie dough in powdered sugar before baking and then sprinkling/sifting more over after they were baked. It worked pretty well.
__________________
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
joesfolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,735
I have started rolling out my cookie dough and my pie crusts in powdered sugar instead of flour. It helps to avoid that flour layer that inevitably ends up on the pastry. The flour doesn't taste or look great but the powdered sugar does.
__________________

__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Powdered sugar on the cookies before or after baking? Please share your expertise with me: All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar [B]AFTER [/B]the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle [B]BEFORE [/B]cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. :sad: THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! emily 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.