"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Powdered sugar on the cookies before or after baking?

Please share your expertise with me:

All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar AFTER the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle BEFORE cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

emily

Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sprinkle AFTER baking. Some will fall off but most will stick.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Why not try sprinkling before baking, on just a couple of the cookies. I like the idea of carmelizing. You might just have a whole new twist.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! happy holidays!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle View Post
Please share your expertise with me:

All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar AFTER the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle BEFORE cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

emily
I you sprinkle after baking, the heat of the cookie holds the powdered sugar on the cookie. Some will still fall off, but doing it before cooking only melts the sugar and they don't look as nice.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaz View Post
i you sprinkle after baking, the heat of the cookie holds the powdered sugar on the cookie. Some will still fall off, but doing it before cooking only melts the sugar and they don't look as nice.
i agree!!

Why can't I use all caps? This is stupid I hate being edited or censored if I am not saying anything offensive!! IF I WANT CAPS (that was in all caps) I should be able to use them!!

Ok this is weird!! My above post "I AGREE" was changed to all lower case instead of caps but not this post. Is someone messing with my head? LOL
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i agree!!

Why can't I use all caps? This is stupid I hate being edited or censored if I am not saying anything offensive!! IF I WANT CAPS (that was in all caps) I should be able to use them!!

Ok this is weird!! My above post "I AGREE" was changed to all lower case instead of caps but not this post. Is someone messing with my head? LOL
All caps means that you are shouting. Just bold it instead.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Italics work good for emphasis as well. It indicates stressing the word, but not shouting it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Senior Cook

It's probably too late to help the OP but it might come in handy in the future. I made a recipe recently that called for rolling the cookie dough in powdered sugar before baking and then sprinkling/sifting more over after they were baked. It worked pretty well.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have started rolling out my cookie dough and my pie crusts in powdered sugar instead of flour. It helps to avoid that flour layer that inevitably ends up on the pastry. The flour doesn't taste or look great but the powdered sugar does.

Tags
recipe

Powdered sugar on the cookies before or after baking? Please share your expertise with me: All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar [B]AFTER [/B]the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle [B]BEFORE [/B]cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. :sad: THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! emily 3 stars 1 reviews