Problems with Crisco.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats just the online price. Its actually usually about $2.49/lb at the store. You can occasionally get a killer deal of $1.69 though!

it may be natural but is certainly not good for you. :(

Why do you think it isn't good for you?

I may be mistaken, but I thought it got a bad name back when we were all trying to lower the amount of cholesterol we ate. Back then it, and other tropical oils got blamed for cholesterol, with no research, simply because they were solid at room temperature and presumed to be high in cholesterol.

it may be natural but is certainly not good for you. :(

No fat is really good for you! :LOL: Coconut oil is being researched a bunch right now. They seem to think its actually got a LOT of health benefits. Give it a Google babe.

No fat is really good for you! :LOL: Coconut oil is being researched a bunch right now. They seem to think its actually got a LOT of health benefits. Give it a Google babe.

i did alix, and being researched is right. no real answers that i could see. one said it is on the list of never eat items. is coconut palm oil the same? that seems to me that was the big no no.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they are the same. I checked a few sites, and one of the more reputable sites (a university research) indicates that it is actually quite healthy for you. I don't think any of the studies are definitive yet though. I was looking for the information from a few years ago, and I think that it was mostly to do with the theater popcorn. I'm still researching.

I've never seen it in solid form, and I've always been pretty satisfied with lard as my pastry fat. I think I will look for it though and give it a try.

Seems that some cultures ate large amounts of coconut and coconut oil with a low instance of heart disease.

I think that we still have a lot to learn about food. Many other plant based fats such as olive oil and the fat in avacados are very healthy, maybe coconut oil will be the next healthy oil.

Thats what the current research trend is showing. There is even some information on how it affects viruses.
Nearly 50% of the fatty acid in natural coconut oil is lauric acid, which converts to the fatty acid monolaurin in the body. Monolaurin has adverse effects on a variety of microorganisms including bacteria, yeast, fungi, and enveloped viruses. It [monolaurin] destroys the lipid membrane of such enveloped viruses as HIV, measles, Herpes simplex virus (HSV-1), influenza and cytomegalovirus (CMV). The usefulness lauric acid/monolaurin in treating AIDS is currently under investigation. Lauric acid is a main component of human breast milk and helps protect children from illness during infancy. Capric acid, which comprises another 7% of coconut oil fat content, also stimulates anti-microbial activity.

personally, I can't get past the fact that coconut oil is 92% saturated fat, 6% mono-unsaturated, and 2% poly-unsaturated fat.

There are too many other good fats/oils out there for me to want to try using one that is 92% saturated fat.

That does sound gross, but the current thinking is that saturated fat doesn't increase the risk of heart disease, but unsaturated decreases it. The information I read suggests that
Pacific island populations who obtain 30-60% of their total caloric intake from fully saturated coconut fat have low rates of cardiovascular disease.[11]
I'm not going to rule it out yet, especially since I don't eat too many pies! ;)

That does sound gross, but the current thinking is that saturated fat doesn't increase the risk of heart disease, but unsaturated decreases it. The information I read suggests that I'm not going to rule it out yet, especially since I don't eat too many pies! ;)

This whole fat issue is very confusing.

I just found this website, never heard of it before, but it claims to be the largest online nutrition community run by Registered Dietitians...

Saturated Fat in Coconut Oil is bad for your heart

cheryla, I wish I would have found this site earlier this month. My sister in law and I make clothespin cookies every year and the past 2 years have been disasters with the dough, and this year I tried a Hi Ratio Shortening (used in making buttercream icing) and even that didn't work for us. I finally broke down and purchased some Puff Pastry, which worked out fine, but the scratch dough was really disturbing to us. We had heard that since crisco went to 'no trans fat' the shortening doesn't work as well. Thank you for your information that came from Crisco...can't wait to try this to see if it actually works! Happy New Year

I just wanted to tell everyone that I also tried "leaf lard". The dough worked just beautiful, but the taste and smell were awful. And you could not get rid of the smell or taste once they were baked or frozen. Won't be doing that again.
Someone told me that they use "aldi's " brand of crisco and it works great. Might try that next time.

Really a shame when 'they' make companies change a product, 'they' don't realize what a trickling effect the change could make on items made with that product. I guess that's when we have to become creative and investigate other ingredients to make it work.

here's my crisco problem

I made biscuits and they taste awful of shortening the shortening has pulled away from the sides of the can has it gone bad or should I use less

Back
Top Bottom