Problems with Crisco.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Biscuits today with butter this time. The rain, the rain it sounds full continuance on and on it goes smell the biscuits soon now almost used twice the butter, one cube is half cup not two. I used two for chocolate chip cookies the other day oh were they good. I guess you can’t put too much butter into chocolate chip cookies. I’m looking forward to these biscuits two cups flour three teaspoons baking powder one tablespoon sugar 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup softened butter one teaspoon salt and they’re pretty good shortening was all together wrong I’m still having trouble getting it off the utensils. I think it had gone bad the word was rancid from the cooking Web site.

OK so much for Betty Crocker, is there variations on the biscuit recipe that might be or make lighter fluffier biscuits? the biscuits are pretty good just wondering does sifting flour make a difference?

OK so much for Betty Crocker, is there variations on the biscuit recipe that might be or make lighter fluffier biscuits? the biscuits are pretty good just wondering does sifting flour make a difference?

Yes. It makes them lighter. If a recipe say "one cup of sifted flour, I sift the flour first then measure out one cup. If the recipe says one cup of flour, I measure out one cup and then sift it. I always sift my flour for anything I bake. Even for cookies. Then I fold it in manuallt instead of letting the mixer do it. When making biscuits, try to handle the dough as little as possible. :angel:

I used to handle biscuits as little as possible, but I started giving them about 5-7 kneads before rolling them out, not being rough mind you, but enough to get the gluten activated so that the dough has a bit of strength to rise "up" instead of spreading. Another way is to place them on the pan so that they are touching, they will be less likely to spread and will rise higher.

You can also try a recipe for cream biscuits. The cream replaces the shortening/butter and the milk, and is super easy and tasty!
Cream Biscuits Recipe - Food.com - 263699

If you have self rising flour, you can use just that and the cream omitting the baking powder and salt from the recipe (the self rising flour has these added already.

Cream Biscuits Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network

http://www.food.com/recipe/cream-biscuits-263699

Cream biscuits might be my favorite method.

Don't expect fast food style biscuits from a home made recipe, I don't know what all is in those biscuits, but it's not easy to duplicate that type of result at home, I'm sure that there are additives in the mix that is used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom