"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Problems with Transfat-free Crisco

All my Mom's old recipes used Crisco. Now my favorite cookie doughs are gooey and thin, and the cookies don't flufff up when baking. I believe the new formulation of Crisco is the culprit. Has anyone found a way to cure this? More flour? Different type of fat (maybe lard?)

Please help save my holiday baking!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Master Chef

Try butter. I found that for cookies, nothing works better. If you can't bring yourself to go all butter, you can try half butter half crisco. One of my recipes I use half butter and half margarine (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) and they come out good.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I've read that coconut oil is a good replacement for shortening.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Everymom

Try chilling the dough a bit before scooping and baking. That sometimes helps. Butter will make them taste better but they'll still be soft. Lard will poof them up a bit so maybe 1/2 shortening 1/2 lard?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hmm...
I went to Whole Foods today and found the coconut oil, which sounds great and looks like a good consistency, but I think it will cook too hot, like the butter. I bought the 365 brand of "shortening," so we'll give that a whirl, but I'm not optimistic.

Just to clarify, these are doughs which I put through a cookie press or (different recipe) roll out and cut. I am also suspicious of the eggs in each recipe. I'm guessing our 21st century eggs vary in size much more than the 1955 eggs?

I have explored the Crisco.com site which has numerous questions on this topic but no solutions I could find.

Still exploring.........
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

i'd toss that butter to the wind; as we learned very quickly in cooking school, butter-based doughs can take substanstial effort; unless you're extremely efficient & well-paced, that dough'll likely fail. we worked on cold tables & often that dough wouldn't succeed.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

I use all butter in my press cookies without a problem. I'm not sure what luvs is talking about. When I make press cookies with anything but butter, the dough is too oily and the cookies don't form well out of the press. I'll find my recipe and post it in the morning. It came from the 1950's cookie press set my mom got as a wedding present.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Everymom

Oh geez, cookie press cookies are different! I use butter in all mine too. My recipe for most of the plain ones is just 2c butter, 1c icing sugar, 4c flour. Then add a drop or two of the desired color to the dough.

I've got lots of variations, but that one is a no fail. No eggs either.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Won't using butter cause the cookies to spread even more?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Everymom

Depends on the recipe you use I think. Generally speaking, yes butter will make the cookies spread. The recipe I posted is one specifically used with press cookies so the dough is very firm. I don't find the cookies spread too much at all.

Tags
None