Question: Glaze for cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I tried to put a glaze on my sugar cookies for the first time today. I have a question. How do you use this glaze for cookies that have a lot of detail? For example, I wanted to make little skulls since it's halloween. I put a black border around the and traced the skull & eyes. I then wanted to fill the cookie with white glaze. I found that it was hard to get the glaze between the eyes or around the thin edge.

Anyone have ideas? I tried putting it in a baggie & also using my flavor injector as a needle, both options were just OK, thought there might be a better method. I ended up using the tip of the injector to drag the glaze to the right spot. I am hoping not to have to take too many passes at the cookie (i.e. glazing then going back over to draw the outline). Or is this what I have to do? :neutral:

Thanks!

If I'm not misunderstanding you....could you not put the white glaze on the whole cooky first...then add the border and eyes and such?

I second Kaylinda's suggestion. You can also try your decorating bags and tips in place of a baggie. Another tool that works great for applying icing in detail is a squeeze bottle (like the type you see used for ketchup and mustard in some restaurants). It gives you good contol and is how I do all of my cookies.

If you decide you do want to fill in with the white and not use white as a base coat so to speak, make sure your black details are thick enough to support icing being placed around them. Also let each color dry well before adding another color. I'd say it depends on your icing's consistency but mine's usually ready to go in about half an hour. (I then let the entire completed cookie dry at least overnight)

Back
Top Bottom