Quick Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHAMALICIOUS

Senior Cook
Hiya, id like some advice as quick as please, cos im wishing to make these cookies today, but turns out i dont have any almonds. I have some other nuts, such as walnuts, n pistachios, but im sure they wouldnt taste as sweet or too nice :ermm: . is it possible to make these cookies without using the almonds, would i need to add more flour or icing sugar instead? :ermm:

Ingredients
85g/3oz icing sugar
170g/6oz plain flour
55g/2oz cornflour
30g/1oz ground almonds
255g/9oz butter, cubed
a few drops almond essence

I feel sure you could toast any of the other nuts and maybe add a little sugar to the toasting nuts if you are worried about the sweetness. Walnuts sound like a good option to me. I know 1 ounce isn't very much but I wonder if it helps with the stability of the cookie? (I'm not a baker so only pay 1/2 attention to me). :chef:

I hope everything turned out okay too!!

But in hindsight, I would definitely have ground up the walnuts & used them - only because ground nuts - unlike chopped nuts - are actually a part of the dry ingredients of the cookie rather than an additive, & your mix might end up a little too wet. Also, when push comes to shove, almonds really arent' any "sweeter" than walnuts or pistachios.

Also, if I did sub another nut for the almonds, I'd probably sub vanilla extract in place of the almond extract, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

I think BreezyCooking hit it on the head. Ground nuts add not only flavor, but fat to the dough. Walnuts, pecans, peanuts, etc. would all substitute nicely. Even natural peanut butter would do the job. Just be aware that though the other nuts would substitute well, the flavor would be a bit different with each. But I don't honestly believe that the flavor of any I've listed, would be a bad flavor.

Other nuts or seeds you could use in a pinch: sunflower seeds, hazelnuts (that would taste great!), brazil nuts, macadamia nuts.

I believe that great recipes using a basic shortbread recipe and adding the ground nut meats would produce some interesting variations. But I would also be sure to incorporate egg into the mixture as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:clap: I was actually right about something that had to do with baking!!!!!! :chef:
kitchenelf said:
I know 1 ounce isn't very much but I wonder if it helps with the stability of the cookie?

Thank you all! I think i will replace the ground almonds with some other nut, will see what other nuts are in the cupboard!

Back
Top Bottom