Raspberry Ribbon Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
These are one of my favorite recipes to bring to a get-together. They are really pretty, and quite easy to make.
Most important: buy really good, thick jam! Don't use jelly or it will make a mess, no doubt! When making the depressions, you can use your finger, but I prefer to use one of those wooden corkscrews (the kind that screws together). They have a nice, rounded end that is perfect for this, and they also work for regular round filled cookies too.

Raspberry Ribbons

Cookie
1 c. softened butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2-1/4 c. AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. raspberry jam (my favorite is the one with the black label in the octagonal jar...can't remember the brand!)

Glaze
1 c. powdered sugar, sifted (this is a must-do)
2 Tbsp evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into four fportions; shape each into a 10"x2-1/2" log.
Place 4" apart on foil-lined baking sheets. Make a 1/2" depression down the center of each log. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Fill depressions with jam. Bake 10-15 minutes longer (I bake 12 minutes) or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board; cut into 3/4" slices. Place on wire racks.

In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm cookies. Cool completely.

Yield: about 4-5 dozen, and less if you keep sampling them:)

jkath, I make these every year for my Christmas tray. They are a delicate cookie and perfect with a cup of tea or glass of milk.

PA I use Dickinson's in mine. Years ago I use to get a jam from England call Baxters but haven't been able to find it in a long time.

No, it's not Dickinson's...
I plan on going grocery shopping today, and I'll check and see which brand it is.

These are on my CHristmas baking list every year, because they're so easy and really fill out the platters. Don't be afraid to try different jams, too - I"ve used orange marmalade, cherry jam, blackberry, and even lemon and orange curd!

Lemon curd! Why didn't I think of that?! That is brilliant...and I just bought some yesterday...I'll have to try it out. Of course you'd try it with marmalade, Marmalady!

I checked at the store and of course, they've stopped carrying my favorite raspberry jam. So, I'll try some grocery store sites to see if I can find the name for you guys.

Back
Top Bottom