REC--Mint Chocolate Chip Meringues (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I just took a batch of these out of the oven and they're delicious (and addictive)!! The mint could easily be replaced with other flavors/extracts. I'm thinking orange or coconut for my next batch!

Mint Chocolate-Chip Meringues

1/2 c egg whites (from about 4 eggs)
2/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp mint extract or mint flavoring (not mint oil!)
2 oz high-quality unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped or grated
2 oz semisweet chocolate (optional)

Additional equipment: Pastry bag fitted with a large plain or star tip; 2 cookie sheets well greased or lined with parchment paper (I used parchment) or 2 nonstick cookie sheets.

Heat oven to 325F.

Heat the egg whites and sugar in the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water until warm to the touch. This will help you get more air into the whites when you whip them (I didn't do this. I just let my whites sit out until at room temp). Transfer to a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip until soft peaks form. Add the mint extract an continue whipping until just stiff and glossy. Fold in the chopped unsweetened chocolate.

Scrape the mixture into a pastry bag. Pipe bite-size kisses onto the cookie sheets and bake until the meringues are the color of milky coffee, about 25-30 minutes. To test doneness, remove one meringue from the oven, let cool one minute and then taste. It should be dry and crisp all the way through. Let cool on the pans.

Optional (I didn't do this part)--Melt the semeisweet chocolate. Dipping the tines of a fork into the chocolate, drizzle the meringues with melted chocolate. Let sit until chocolate is set, 30 minutes to an hour (or let set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes).

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Oh my. These sound so easy and incredible too! I bet they would rock with maple flavouring. I'm going to try that one first.

YUM!
I love meringues!!!!

Around Halloween, I make the meringues that you kind of build up and make sure they have a good tip on top. Then, just before baking you put two mini m&ms next to each other, near the top and you have little ghosties :)

Another good flavor - mocha chip!

Back
Top Bottom