REC: Pan di Stelle (Italian chocolate biscuits)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Pan di stelle are a chocolate biscuit, the name is a trade name like Oreo.

I thought it would be fun to share the recipe they print, especially so anyone with Italian roots but not in Italy could make them for their kids! The main difference I guess, it that the recipe does not allow for the fact that the commercial ones have the glaze applied as little white stars on this dark biscuit (hence the name) but I'm sure they taste good nonetheless

(with refernce to copywrite, I have translated the entirity, and the method is furtherore in my own words as well as language!)

500 grammes (g) of type 00 flour
2 tablespoons of honey
30 g of melted dark chocolate
30 g cocoa
1 egg
70 g butter
90 g margerine
300g of powdered/icing sugar
40 g of milk
20 g skinned, toasted hazlenuts
a packet of yeast (presumably a sachet of dried yeast :))
a pinch of salt

for glaze: 30 g more icing sugar
caster sugar (for sprinkling at the end)

Grind the toasted hazlenuts and 3 tablespoons of the icing sugar in to a smooth paste.
Seperately, combine the rest of the icing sugar with the margerine then combine with the hazlenut paste.
Add to the nutty mixture the yolk of the egg (setting aside the white) then the other ingrediants, adding the flour and yeast last, and mix slowly until combined. Roll into a sheet about 3mm thick and stamp out circular biscuits.

To make a glaze, beat the egg white till stiff, add the remaining 30g icing sugar, then using a pastry brush, paint it on th the biscuits, then sprinkle them with caster sugar

Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 10-15 minutes. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom