Royal Icing Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SugarCookie

Assistant Cook
Good morning!

Am I the only one who sometimes has trouble with her royal icing setting up?

Although I use the same recipe, occassionally my icing doesn't harden, remaining tacky and spongy to the touch. Any clues as to why this might happen would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelli

I've had trouble before if the humidity level in the house is too high, too. In the summer I always make sure to have DH move the dehumidifier into the room where the cookies or decorations are drying to make sure it sets better.

If it's the icing itself, or even if it just gets too warm and runny while you're working with it, like tattrat said, added powdered sugar helps!

Make sure that there was no teeny-tiny hints of oil or grease (shortening) on the mixing bowl and mixer before you whip up the egg whites. That will keep the icing from setting up too.

Every single time I've made Royal icing the outside is so hard that it cracks when I cut it which doesn't make for a very nice cake. :mad: The outside is hard as a rock.

Half Baked said:
Every single time I've made Royal icing the outside is so hard that it cracks when I cut it which doesn't make for a very nice cake. :mad: The outside is hard as a rock.
Royal icing is intended only for piped decorations and decorative flood work (decorations that usually only kids think are edible!)

Use another type of icing for the cake overall (but remember that royal icing doesn't mix with any grease so you can't pipe in r.i. on top of a butter-based icing. The best combo is rolled fondant with royal icing.) Have you ever worked with something like an Italian buttercream?

Last edited:
Traditionally, UK wedding cakes and Chrsitmas cakes are covered in marzipan and then royal icing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom