Scottish oatmeal biscuits (cookies)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
This is an oatmeal biscuit recipe recipe I found on a bag of oatmeal purchased from a mill in Aberdeenshire!

OAT BISCUITS (Cookies)

4oz butter or margarine
6oz fine brown sugar
1 egg
8oz oatmeal
3oz plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6oz raisins, sultanas, cherries or apricots
1/4 tsp vanilla flavouring
Pinhead oatmeal for coating biscuits

Method
Beat butter/margarine and sugar together, add beaten egg and vanilla. Add dried sifted ingredients and fruit.
Shape into 20 - 24 balls, roll in pinhead oatmeal, place on a greased tray and bake 180°c/350°f, gas mark 4 for 12 - 15 minutes until golden brown

We don't really have 'chewy' biscuits - they are slightly 'softer' than a crispy type of biscuit.... :LOL:

Bendy? My kids refuse to eat cookies that crumble into dust. Bendy works though. And I LOVE oatmeal cookies. I think I will try these tomorrow. I think I will use Craisins in them though.

Oh.... we just call them dried cranberries 8) My husband likes to add them to a sultana and almond selection which he likes to munch on when he has a drink in the evenings.

I must tell him that they are craisins 8)

crewsk said:
Alix said:
Craisins is just the brand name.

I should have specified that, sorry. :oops: I think they got the name because they look like raisins.

No, my bad crewsk, assuming things again. And I agree Ishbel, I think it is a cute name too. Made me buy em. They come in several flavours now I noticed, cherry, strawberry, orange and regular. I am sticking with regular for the cookies but for snacking I like the orange ones.

Isn't it amazing that we all speak English, but our knowledge of each other's version of the language is SO different?!

Trying to explain treacle in another thread was hard enough... but with craisins - and not just plain old dried cranberries, but flavoured, dried cranberries ... WOW... I wonder WHY anyone would think that cranberries would be better if they tasted of orange or strawberry?!!! :LOL:

I think it's ASDA Ishmel, but one of the supermarkets here calls them Craisins, they are made by Ocean Spray who make the juice. I love em too.

I don't have an ASDA near me - only Waitrose and Sainsbury. But I'll check and see if they sell them as craisins. I buy the dried (well, semi-dried!) cranberries in Marks and Spencer.

Back
Top Bottom