Shortbread cookie help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
morning from Tulsa Ok....
I am sure the subject of shortbread has come up many a time over the time this board has been established. I need help with something. Question is, on a layover in a hotel I was staying in, and now can't remember the hotel or the country it was in even, there was a basket of goodies left for us in our rooms as is often times the case. Well, you know in that basket was a gold bag from a company that included smallish, walnut sized, shortbread surrounded truffles. In other words, truffles inside, but who knew:wacko: , and on the outside, completely covering the chocolate, was THEE most tender shortbread cookie ever eating by man, or in this case, woman, that being me:huh: . My question is, anyone know how this was done? Anyone know the question of the universe which is how to make sinfully tender shortbread? Oh please, help this woman out:mrgreen:

Lefse, I know exactly what you're talking about but I've only seen the cookies in gourmet stores. I believe there's a mold that you can get to make this type of cookie. I'll look through all of my cookbooks when I have a chance and see what I can learn/remember.

By the way, it's great to see you back on DC!!!:chef:

Aha! I found it!

Here's the link to a description of the cookie molds:
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp;jsessionid=08302965151125435349011?id=4310&pv=1125435349247

And here's a picture:
1079634152339.jpg

gosh PA Baker, thanks for the help. Now, if you can help me with the most tender/delicate of cookie dough (for the shortbread) it'd really make me smile! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the welcome back.:mrgreen: I get discouraged with these types of boards often times, and that's stupid of me. I just expect everyone to be exactly like me in my thinking. You're a doll to have supported my quiry, again, (((((((((((((PABAker))))))))))))))) OH, and the link worked for me, I'll have to check out the prices of the presses:glare:

Last edited:
LEFSElover, the Leo in you should come out ROARING. :) I'm a Leo as well, so can understan (add to that me being a Dragon) :LOL:

Lefse, I wasn't ignoring you ... I just didn't have an answer!

Looks like PA Baker got you started .... as for a recipe, just start with a basic shortbread/butter cookie recipe and see how it turns out. If it's not tender enough - next time increase the butter a little ("shorten" it). I'm sure you will not be short of cookie testers who will be more than glad to eat your experiments.

This is a recipe that I've used many times - I have never had a more tender butter cookie. I know it's not shortbread but it sure is tender like you asked for.

1/2 lb. butter, softened
3/4 cup cornstarch, sifted
1/3 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1 cup flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix everything well - batter will be stiff
  3. Drop from teaspoon onto greased baking sheet
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes
I have also put this icing on them. You have to be really careful because they will fall apart - but that's ok too because you get to eat those!!!!

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix cream cheese and sugar; add vanilla

Frost tops of cookies while still warm - and again, handle carefully.

I won't tell a sole, oh wait, that's a fish!!! (now it's your turn not to tell a sole - these are soooooo flaky and tender and the shortbread I've had is a tad more firm so I thought it may have been a difference in flour/sugar/or something - I guess in this case it's the cornstarch????)

AND I know I'm short but you don't have to call me fat :mrgreen:

Michael in FtW said:
Lefse, I wasn't ignoring you ... I just didn't have an answer!

Looks like PA Baker got you started .... as for a recipe, just start with a basic shortbread/butter cookie recipe and see how it turns out. If it's not tender enough - next time increase the butter a little ("shorten" it). I'm sure you will not be short of cookie testers who will be more than glad to eat your experiments.

Hey Michael, I do make the easy recipes all the time for shortbread. I don't think I've ever measured the ingredients either, any of them. But for some reason, this cookie around this truffle, was so very delicate. And the part about the testers waiting in line to try out my experiments? I'd be the first in line, I think I simply adore Scottish Shortbread cookies. They are simple and elegant.:-p

one of the secrets to a tender shortbread is the use of confectioners or powdered sugar. another might be the flour...try a few different grades. and of course the butter...use European style, higher fat content.

PA Baker said:
Aha! I found it!

Here's the link to a description of the cookie molds:
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp;jsessionid=08302965151125435349011?id=4310&pv=1125435349247

And here's a picture:
1079634152339.jpg

Thanks for all the good ideas here. I bought these molds from KA Flour about two years ago....but I haven't used them yet. :rolleyes:

I'm determined to make some of these cookies within the next couple of weeks --as soon as the weather cools.

The recipe that came with the set calls for Almond Paste, I just purchased some---but it's not always available here where I live, so I really appreciate the suggestion of using a shortbread dough. I'm sure I can think of some yummy fillings to go with...:D Thanks for the good recipes and ideas!

Lefse, are you in Tulsa, or somewhere in So. Cal? Only reason I'm asking, is that's where I'm from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom