Snickerdoodles Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katy, the domed ones look most like our much-beloved school cafeteria version, but domed and smashed versions both look yummy!

And good advice about keeping the dough chilled to prevent sticking. The cafeteria Lunch Ladies, who make tons of them, may have a secret for nonstick, I'll have to ask.

Blimey! I wish our school cafeteria food was as tasty as yours DL! I couldn't actually eat the awful stuff they produced at my old school and ended up taking packed lunches in! (This was after they sent a letter to my mum suggesting that I might have anorexia! Bunch of idiots!) :blink:

Katy your cookies/ biscuits look terrific. Do you like their flavour?

They should be more crispy rather than soft and chewy.

Hey, Whiskadoodle,
I've read a lot of recipes on various sites and blogs for Snickerdoodles, and they all say that they should be crispy on the edges and chewy in the centers - the Cinnamon Cookies I make are also that way. Does your recipe have a longer baking time than usual, since the cookies are "more crispy...?"

Katy your cookies/ biscuits look terrific. Do you like their flavour?

Freezing some of the dough for future baking is probably a good idea. I gave away some, but still have plenty for a few days.

I did mention elsewhere that I flatten them with a glass. Apparently the recipe doesn't say to do that. It's just how our family always did it, so That's how I expect the recipe to read. I have what's that Syndrome, "don't always Read the Fine Print ." WHo knew No Printed Recipe that I can find says Smash "em with a glass. Well-- there's a savings. No Extra glass to wash in future. No more smashing. Your first picture looks more like how they should come out. They should be more crispy rather than soft and chewy.

Do I make sense, No, I dont think so either. No more smashing.

Well the very good news is they BOTH tasted the same after they cooled! And both were really delicious. :) Mine were crispy/crunchy - which is what I was hoping for, though of course I had no idea what they were supposed to be like! (The "smashed" ones are a lot easier to pack by the way) ;)

I just bake time per the recipe -- 10 minutes or so. I think because I smoosh them, they come out flatter and don't have a risen dome effect. Also I make a smaller cookie about 2 1/2 - 3 inches round when baked, so that may cause them to be more crispy.

I just bake time per the recipe -- 10 minutes or so. I think because I smoosh them, they come out flatter and don't have a risen dome effect. Also I make a smaller cookie about 2 1/2 - 3 inches round when baked, so that may cause them to be more crispy.

In this case it is "know your oven". I had to do at least double the time.

Every single baking recipe I do (no matter where I get the recipe from), I know it will take longer. I always set my timer to the stated time (just to be sure of course). And then I know I have another 5 - 40 minutes to spend getting up and down to check! (Depending on what I am baking.)

I am in a rented flat - so I won't be getting a new oven in. I have just had to learn to live with this one. :angel:

A restaurant near us makes Snickerdoodles; theirs are about 5 inches across and they use a fork to make a crosshatch pattern, like on peanut butter cookies, to flatten them a bit.

KatyCooks, thank you for the pics. Both of them, flattened and rounded, look amazing!

I used to make sugar cookies that you dipped the bottom of the slightly dampened glass in sugar and them flattened the cookies. The sugar stayed on the cookie top. :angel:

My edited recipe by weight

Here is my version recipe by weight

Snickerdoodles Cookies

360g all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt

1 cup butter
288g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
*1 tbsp white vinegar (I added this to make them a bit fluffier)

48g sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 sec. Add the 288g sugar. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and vinegar until creamy.

Mix in flour mixture a little at a time with the mixer. Using a sturdy rubber scraper or wooden spoon to scrap down the sides. Cover and chill the dough for about 1 hour, or until easy to handle.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F / 190 C.

In a small bowl, stir together the ¼ cup sugar and the cinnamon. Shape the dough into 1½-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.

Place the balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I also used parchment paper).

Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

Results of my recipe (my white balance is abit off)

DSC_8235.JPG

Back
Top Bottom