Snickerdoodles Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about to make 4 dozen snickerdoodles for gift packages.

I was going to use this recipe: Snickerdoodles I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It calls for shortening, and not butter. If I sub butter, or go half shortening/half butter....you think the would better? How would affect the texture?
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/snickerdoodles-i/

Did you read the reviews? You can get a lot of suggestions from them. I went through about 30 of them and several did just want you want to do. They gave the recipe 5 stars. Half butter and half shortening. A lot of them used the butter flavored shortening. There were more than 300 reviews. Most of them were five star. And a lot of them had suggestions on how they did something different to make the cookies come out even better.

We don't mind answering any questions here, but sometimes the answer is just inches from your eyes. I like reading recipes and the reviews. They give me some inkling of whether I want to try it or not. Go back and read the reviews. Even the one star ones. They tell you what not to do as well as what to do. Good luck. :angel:

Like we say in Texas...."if it were a snake, it woulda bit me". Thanks Addie.

You are most welcome. If I came across as harsh or critical, I apologize. But here at DC, we not only answer questions, but try to teach along with the answer. We pass along our experiences so others may learn. And all of us here at DC know to look at the reviews. Whether it be for a recipe or a product in Amazon. We all want a product that is going to be pleasing to us in the end. :angel:

It is EXTREMELY important to me that these cookies turn out just absolutely perfect, as they are Christmas gifts..and the honor of our family rides on them....and if I dishonor the family..I'll have to do that Japanese ritual where they stab themselves in the gut...and I really don't want to do that. :) I'm still a learning cook...so I'll take any advice anyone wants to give.

I'm making 4 types. Apple, cinnamon oatmeal...chocolate/chocolate chip...snickerdoodles...and cranberry orange.

Last edited:
Yum, looks like good tasting treats coming from your kitchen. Might I suggest that if you are making cookie trays or gift bags, that you arrange the cookies as near as the time you are gifting. Or package in individual wrapped stacks of each kind. I found that some flavors "travel" if packed together too far in advance. eg, your choc chippers take on an orange flavor etc. While that can create totally delicious combos, it makes for an unexpected surprise when served.

Back
Top Bottom