Snickerdoodles Ingredient Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They may flatten a bit more with butter, but I'm sure that the flavor would be great

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

And another thing..what about the shortening in most of the recipes? Wouldn't butter make them better, now that I can afford butter?

Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening so when you put cookies made with butter in the oven, the butter melts quickly and makes the dough spread out flat before it has a chance to set. I see a lot of snickerdoodle recipes with both butter and shortening. The butter gives you flavor while the shortening holds the cookie up so you get a thicker product.

Cheryl, I have that exact Snickerdoodle recipe! Mine is actually in my Mom's 1963, First Edition "Betty Crocker's Cooky Book".

Besides the cooky book, I also have a Betty Crocker Snickerdoodle mix on hand. They both use cream of tartar and soda. Hmm, wondered why I had that container of cream of tartar in the pantry. :huh:

Andy, you said cream of tartar should be good for a long time. As in decades? :ermm: I might consider a new one if I get around to baking snickerdoodles.

Kayelle, my cooky book lists "1 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)", so back in 1963 they were using a combination. T&T!

I know that if you chill cookie dough that contains butter until it is firm, then quickly form the cookies, (work fast) it will take the butter longer to spread the dough. So you end up with a high cookie yet still have the flavor of the butter. :angel:

I have made plenty of sugar cookies, but never Snickerdoodles. I am going to have to make them. I like the idea of just scooping them with an ice cream dasher instead of having to roll out the dough and then cutting them. And they sound delicious. Anything with cinnamon sounds good to me. And I do have CofT. on hand in the cabinet. Cherry I wrote down your mother's recipe. It sounds so delicious. Thanks for sharing. :angel:

Last edited:
I have made plenty of sugar cookies, but never Snickerdoodles. I am going to have to make them. I like the idea of just scooping them with an ice cream dasher instead of having to roll out the dough and then cutting them. And they sound delicious. Anything with cinnamon sounds good to me. And I do have CofT. on hand in the cabinet. :angel:

Every snickerdoodle recipe I've looked at calls for rolling the dough into a ball then rolling the ball of dough in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.

One of the best things made in school cafeterias! Love snickerdoodles.

I have made plenty of sugar cookies, but never Snickerdoodles. I am going to have to make them. I like the idea of just scooping them with an ice cream dasher instead of having to roll out the dough and then cutting them. And they sound delicious. Anything with cinnamon sounds good to me. And I do have CofT. on hand in the cabinet. Cherry I wrote down your mother's recipe. It sounds so delicious. Thanks for sharing. :angel:

Ohhhhhh Addie, you don't know what you've been missing. I kept the cookie jar filled with them in the late '60's when I was a "Day Care Mother" to a gaggle of kiddies. They were sure cheaper than store bought cookies.
Chill the dough and roll into balls. Then roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
I might make a double batch for my grown sons...they'd love that.:chef:

Last edited:
You can freeze your Snickerdoodle balls and bake them off as needed.

Form and freeze them on a tray, when they are frozen toss them into a plastic bag and store in the freezer for a month to six weeks.

If you start them in a cold oven set at 375 to 400 they will thaw and bake in 15-20 minutes, the house will smell wonderful.

The more I read and hear about them, the more I am tempted to get out into the kitchen. Today is not one of my better days pain wise. I took a pain pill a while ago. Hope it kicks in soon. I want to make these so bad. And I have two boys that will clean them up real fast. :angel:

You can freeze your Snickerdoodle balls and bake them off as needed.

Form and freeze them on a tray, when they are frozen toss them into a plastic bag and store in the freezer for a month to six weeks.

If you start them in a cold oven set at 375 to 400 they will thaw and bake in 15-20 minutes, the house will smell wonderful.

I do that with oatmeal cookie dough and it would probably work with choc chip cookie dough, too. DH is the only cookie eater around here so I hate to bake a whole recipe because he will get tired of them before finishing all of them. I freeze the balls of dough in bags of a dozen each. I also give a bag to my DIL once in a while and she will bake them for my grandson. After giving her some of my cookie recipes she said she will never bake from pre-made dough again.

Taxlady and Addie, thanks you for your support. Though I don't use them often, I am not opposed to boxed dessert mixes.

Back
Top Bottom