"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb SOS: Shaped Cookie Problems

Whenever I make cookies they seem to flatten out in the oven, into paper thin generally roundish crisp like cookies.
I'm trying to make Christmas cookies, I've tried every type I can think of shortbread, biscuit and cookie recipes everything just goes paper thin
Ideally I would like a shortbread recipe which makes about ten cookies in way where they retain their shape and thickness throughout baking. Or any tips on how to be double sure they will keep their shape and thickness.

Thanks

Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

The Ultimate Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookies

I found this site to be ever so much helpful. It is just for chocolate chip cookies. It explains why some cookies flatten out and other don'.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm not a baker but could you possibly be mis-understanding the quantities in so much as the flour is concerned by using too little? Or using too much fat? (butter/margarine/etc) Butter will flatten out more than a margarine.

Do different types of flour affect cookie doughs? As in all-purpose as against bread flour as against pastry flour?

There are lots of bakers here, someone will come along soon with a suggestion I'm sure.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Whenever I make cookies they seem to flatten out in the oven, into paper thin generally roundish crisp like cookies.
I'm trying to make Christmas cookies, I've tried every type I can think of shortbread, biscuit and cookie recipes everything just goes paper thin
Ideally I would like a shortbread recipe which makes about ten cookies in way where they retain their shape and thickness throughout baking. Or any tips on how to be double sure they will keep their shape and thickness.

Thanks
Is there liquid in the recipe? If so perhaps there is too much? Types of flour and weather conditions can affect the rate at which the flour takes in liquid. Or if you are using a spread type of fat rather than a solid butter/margarine the mixture will be softer

I make shortbread and similar type of cookies in a shallow baking tray (sheet pan?) so they are contained in a slab and cut them after cooking but, of course, you only get square or finger-shaped cookies then. Does that make sense?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

https://www.evermine.com/blog/hoot-n...bread-cookies/

A favourite recipe, yes a flavoured short bread.

Just make shore the dough get to rest and get cold again before rolling out and if you want to be sure the shape stay, then cool the cookies in the fridge 30 min before baking.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
Master Chef

Try replacing the butter in your cookie recipe with solid vegetable shortening.

You could also go with a recipe similar to this one that uses cream cheese to make a great tasting cut out cookie.

PHILADELPHIA Sugar Cookie Cutouts - Kraft Recipes

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Try replacing the butter in your cookie recipe with solid vegetable shortening...Good luck!
This!

Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening so cookie dough will spread out before it has a chance to set.

OR

Another option is to thoroughly chill the dough before putting the cookies on the cookie sheet. That way the butter's melting is slowed down so you get thicker cookies.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This!

Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening so cookie dough will spread out before it has a chance to set.

OR

Another option is to thoroughly chill the dough before putting the cookies on the cookie sheet. That way the butter's melting is slowed down so you get thicker cookies.
In fact I've baked cookie dough that I've previously frozen, straight from the freezer. Probably the same effect.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Any chance you are melting the butter when making up the dough? it would cause the effect you have noted. Butter should be soft but NOT melted.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

When I used to make Christmas cookies (12 varieties) I would use 1/2 butter & 1/2 butter flavor Crisco in my recipes. They came out very good.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cookie, cookies, other